Adaptors and off-brand lenses on a6500

desert_view

I have been looking for a long lens, say 400+ mm (35mm equivalent 600mm) that doesn't weigh more than 1kg(2.2 lbs). Sony doesn't make one like that. So, I  look at adaptors and off-brand lenses with no knowledge of which combinations will actually work well. By work well, I mean auto-focus quickly with correct exposure and provide the functionality of the 6500. Where can I find information about such combos if they even exist?

On 2/2/2019 at 9:12 PM, desert_view said:

400+ mm (35mm equivalent 600mm) that doesn't weigh more than 1kg(2.2 lbs) ... auto-focus quickly with correct exposure and provide the functionality of the 6500.

This doesn't exist. Closest you can get is the native 100-400 GM at 1.4 kg or the Sigma 100-400 with MC11 adapter at 1.3 kg. Be sure to try the autofocus performance of any adapted options to see if it's up to your standards.

• 2 weeks later...

I have given up on adapting alien lenses to my 6500 camera. So I really need a light weight, full functioning autofocus 400+mm Sony e mount lens for the 6500. I know that Sony does not yet sell any such lens. Sony has an e-mount FE series lens for full frame sensors which will work with the 6500 but weighs too much and does not have enough reach (300mm). There were some rumors that new lenses were coming out this spring. Does anyone have any inside information on what might become available in the next few months?

If you find the FE 70-300 too heavy at 854 grams, nothing will satisfy your requirements. Anything with 400mm reach will be heavier or have really crappy image quality such as the Tamron 18-400.

Sounds like what you actually want is an RX10-iv: fairly compact, awesome autofocus, 600mm equivalent focal length and 1kg total body+lens.

Edited by Pieter

Then please show me the off-brand lens that fits your needs if camera system wasn't a constraint. Oh right, there isn't any as sensor size doesn't affect the bulk of a decent 400mm+ lens much. The Panasonic 100-400 for micro 4/3rds also weighs 1kg. Thats about the same as the Sigma 100-400 for Fullframe.

Edited by Pieter

Hi Pieter,

Thanks for your input! I guess I'll just wait for a few months and see what develops. Meanwhile I am using the Olympus 1.7 extender on the front of a Sony 55-210 zoom lens. This rig yields about 535mm for equivalent 35mm, and the 6500 focuses well and quickly in bright daylight. 

Don't get me wrong: I too would like something better than the 55-210 I use on my a6500 without sacrificing too much on portability of the system (that's what made me fall in love with Sony APS-C in the first place, over Fuji or Sony FF). I just think it's not going to happen. Maybe Tamron or Sigma will make a 300 or 400 mm lens for APS-C someday but it will be a crappy ultrazoom. If the 1.7x teleconverter works for you, that's your best option to go long and lightweight in the foreseeable future.

• 2 months later...

This conversation has been very helpful and timely as I was just trying to research that Tamron 18-400!  You seem emphatic that it is ‘crappy,’ when reviews I read were not that bad—-a useful for all-purpose travel lens. Can you describe ‘crappy’ more?  I’m a beginner and not up for investing in (or toting around) a second camera (RX10–).  Just tired of constantly switching the two kit lenses on the fly when traveling. (And just for education purposes, what adaptor would the Tamron need for the a6000?). Thanks!

I meant crappy if you're in the game for a decent telezoom for e.g. wildlife photography and expect to get sharp and vibrant images. I'm sure the Tamron may satisfy your needs if you want a one-lens solution to all your needs and don't mind to sacrifice a bit on image quality. Kinda makes me wonder though what made you buy an interchangeable lens camera. The main reason for getting such a camera to me is to be able to exploit all that wonderfully big sensor area goodness to the max by putting a decent quality lens in front of it. By rules of physics/optics, the smaller the zoom range of the lens, the less compromises need to be made in its design so (generally) the better the image quality.

As to what adapter, I guess you'd best get the Canon mount version and Google a bit with which adapter it works best. I assume the Metabones is out of your budget so maybe the Sigma MC-11 might work ok.

• 1 month later...

As I've grown older and wiser I've settled on a 2 camera solution.

My "Image Quality" setup is the Sony a6500 (IBIS) + 24f18z + sel10-18f4 for the wide stuff.

My "Versatility setup" Sony RX10IV whose 24-600mm lens reach + auto focus / tracking / fps speeds never  ceases to amaze me.

*I've also kept the 18105G for darker indoor videos when things get to grainy on the RX10.

With the A6500 + Play Memories Apps and the RX10M4 there isn't much that will escape you!

Hi cymmgarcia,

I really like your recommendation about the RX10IV. I have two questions for you.

1. Are the menus and controls similar to the 6500? and 2. Is the external flash operation the same as the 6500? 

Regarding question 1 , for example, does the RX10IV have the "FN" button like the 6500?

38 minutes ago, desert_view said:

Hi cymmgarcia,

I really like your recommendation about the RX10IV. I have two questions for you.

1. Are the menus and controls similar to the 6500? and 2. Is the external flash operation the same as the 6500? 

Regarding question 1 , for example, does the RX10IV have the "FN" button like the 6500?

Yes, the RX10IV does have an "FN" button (see the photo of the back on this page: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cyber-shot-dsc-rx10-iv/2). From the DPReview reviews photos and text, one can safely assume that the User Interface is similar between all recent Sony cameras. My own experience does verify that.

2 hours ago, desert_view said:

Hi cymmgarcia,

Hi desert_view,

Regarding...

1. Are the menus and controls similar to the 6500? 

This is the beauty of it, as the menu system, while not exact with re-organized tabs and "my menu" tab; it is within the same ecosystem and shares 95% of the same terms / functionality.

On controls you gain aperture control on the lens leaving ISO and SS speed on the back dial and D-pad + exposure comp on top deck. 

2. Is the external flash operation the same as the 6500? 

Both cameras lack the ability to wireless trigger external flashes so you will face the same frustration as the a6500. This means cheap Sony flash triggering expensive Sony flash, or if not invested in Sony go with Godox TT350's or TT685's or V1's with X1 / Xpro Transmitter.

*On the flash side the RX10IV uses a mechanical leaf shutter so you don't loose flash power during HSS.

**On the battery side it's the same so you standardize there as well.

5 hours ago, desert_view said:

I really like your recommendation about the RX10IV.

I already recommended this camera to you in my post on february 15. At the time you replied that you didn't want to get a second camera. What made you have second thoughts about that opinion?

On 7/5/2019 at 6:58 PM, Pieter said:

I already recommended this camera to you in my post on february 15. At the time you replied that you didn't want to get a second camera. What made you have second thoughts about that opinion?

Hi Pieter,

Perhaps someone pointing out the benefits of dual cameras with specific use cases / lenses combos help sway the decision?

26 minutes ago, cymmgarcia said:

Hi Pieter,

Perhaps someone pointing out the benefits of dual cameras with specific use cases / lenses combos help sway the decision?

The similarity of controls and performance of the Rx10m4 overcame my resistance to the expense of a new camera. Actually the  Rx10m4  is a lot cheaper than the new 200-600 zoomer and much lighter.

Edited by desert_view
after thought

• 3 weeks later...

Complete change of approach to achieving a good long zoom using the A6500.!!!!!!

After reviewing many alternatives, I have settled on buying the Sony FE 70-300 G lens for long zoom  for the following reasons:

1. I can get the following 35 mm equivalent focal lengths first with optical zoom 100 to 450mm of exquisitely sharp raw images and second with "Clear Image" digital zoom 200 to 900 mm of adequately sharp jpeg images.

2. The combined image stabilization (6500 body and 70-300 lens) is so effective that hand-held photography is easy.

I have only had the lens for  two days, so I don't have any showoff images yet. So look forward to seeing some in the next week.

I had not said anything earlier, because you had mentioned something about the maximum weight you were ready to accept, and the 70-300 is heavier.
I use a 70-300 on my 6500, and am extremely happy with the results.
The attached photo, taken a few days ago off Cape Cod, shows a humpback whale named Niles. The photo has been cropped to remove people within the lens field

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/28/2019 at 3:59 PM, desert_view said:

Complete change of approach to achieving a good long zoom using the A6500.!!!!!!

After reviewing many alternatives, I have settled on buying the Sony FE 70-300 G lens for long zoom  for the following reasons:

1. I can get the following 35 mm equivalent focal lengths first with optical zoom 100 to 450mm of exquisitely sharp raw images and second with "Clear Image" digital zoom 200 to 900 mm of adequately sharp jpeg images.

2. The combined image stabilization (6500 body and 70-300 lens) is so effective that hand-held photography is easy.

I have only had the lens for  two days, so I don't have any showoff images yet. So look forward to seeing some in the next week.

desert_view...

Please provide us with your impressions and some sample pics as I also debated this combo before purchasing the RX10IV. 

• 3 months later...

I am going to avoid screaming here over the use of the word crappy concerning the Tamron 18-400.  No that lens is not the world's greatest.  However for someone who wants that range to create great vacation images and not photograph lens test charts it is an excellent choice.  I have tested an a6500 with the Sigma Canon mount adapter to a Tamron 18-400.  The results for the vacation travel shooter were very pleasing.  Myself I do have the Sony 100-400.

Personally I would like to see Tamron offer that lens in an E mount.  I doubt it will happen with Sony's substantial ownership position in Tamron.

16 hours ago, Photodog said:

I am going to avoid screaming here over the use of the word crappy concerning the Tamron 18-400.

You may have read my rectification on the use of that generalized statement. As a general convenience ultrazoom it may be quite decent. In fact there's nothing quite like it with its 22× zoom range so if that's what you're after then it may work well for you.

However, O.P. was looking for a decent quality long lens. If you expect vibrant and crisp images at the 400mm end then yes, I stand by my statement of calling the 18-400 crappy.

Fortunately there is now the new Sony 70-350. @desert_view has found his solution in the 70-300 but had this lens been available at the time I'm sure he'd be quite interested in it.

Since my reply on July 28, I have done well financially and purchased (GAS) a Sony RX10MIV.  So far, I am amazed by the clarity and sharpness of the Zeiss zoomer even when using "clear image zoom" out to 1200mm(35mm equivalent). This feature (CLIZ), when enabled, works seamlessly with the electronic zoom control. On the other hand, with CLIZ on my A6500 and 70-300 lens, you get only one multiplicative setting, because the lens doesn't have electronic zoom. In addition, another feature of the RX10MIV is the high speed zoom reversal custom button which is amazing when you suddenly lose track of the target and need a wider view to find it. So now I have three cameras, all good, and probably 2 lenses I don't need. I have several model airplane events coming up which I will cover for my club newsletter.  I will display some RX10MIV images starting in the next 2 weeks.

I think you chose wisely. If it's convenience and decent image quality you're after, an RX10 makes a lot of sense. I'll probably get a 70-350 for my a6500 someday, but it'll be a splurge as I rarely shoot beyond 100mm.

Hi Pieter

Thanks for your encouragement. I took a lot of family pics with the rx10 over Thanksgiving. They were all OK to very good, especially of my son's large chocolate lab puppy.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!