Aperture "resets" after each exposure. How to Keep aperture fixed for time-lapse.

Does anybody know if the Sony A7R III has the dreaded 'flicker' caused be inconsistent exposures when shooting time-lapse sequences using lenses with electronic apertures?  At the moment, I'm shooting stills in manual focus with "silent shutter."  But after each exposure, I can see, hear and feel the aperture open and reset.   

My setup is a Sony A7R III with a Sigma ART 24-35 and Meta Bones canon adapter.

I'm told that on Sony Alpha cameras, that if autofocus is turned OFF, then the aperture should stay fixed at a chosen f stop until a new f stop is selected.

Can anybody chime in?

Many Thanks and Adventures,

Joe Taylor

https://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/1710/v1/en/contents/TP0001629672.html?search=AE

Note the Hint at the bottom:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by LiveShots

I have only made one experimental time lapse video using play memories perhaps three years ago so I don't have any real advice....but....you say you are shooting in silent shutter?  That seems to interfere with several camera functions, so just for fun I would turn silent shutter off and see if that has any effect.

24 minutes ago, tinplater said:

I have only made one experimental time lapse video using play memories perhaps three years ago so I don't have any real advice....but....you say you are shooting in silent shutter?  That seems to interfere with several camera functions, so just for fun I would turn silent shutter off and see if that has any effect.

That's a good idea and I'll give it a try right now.  

On 1/31/2019 at 12:32 AM, Joe Taylor Cinema said:

But after each exposure, I can see, hear and feel the aperture open and reset.

Did you try putting 'Live view display' to 'Setting effects off'? I'm trying to reproduce your issue on my a6500 and indeed the aperture changes when you're just about to make an exposure, even with everything set to manual and even with 'live view -> setting effects off' on my a6500. Maybe on your A7Riii you're lucky on that matter.

The answer you probably don't want to hear is that you can always put a full manual lens on your camera to solve this issue.

2 minutes ago, Pieter said:

Did you try putting 'Live view display' to 'Setting effects off'? I'm trying to reproduce your issue on my a6500 and indeed the aperture changes when you're just about to make an exposure, even with everything set to manual and even with 'live view -> setting effects off' on my a6500. Maybe on your A7Riii you're lucky on that matter.

The answer you probably don't want to hear is that you can always put a full manual lens on your camera to solve this issue.

Hey Pieter, I'm considering a new lens, but I just plunked $1000 on this Sigma ART and right from the start I could tell is was the "best" lens I've ever had.  However, I really want this lens for time-lapse as well.  But I'm considering a Rokinon 20 or 24mm.  I cringe at the thought since Rokinon's seem so crude by comparison.

So, are you suggesting turning "Live View" off?  Hope I'm reading that right.If so, I'll give it a shot right away.  

• 2 weeks later...

how are you doing time lapse on your a7riii?

i have taken photos on mine in manual mode with a remote and it seems to have activity before activating shutter. i was busy and on a time constraint there fore  did not investigate what was going on. photos were ok. i think it was refocusing even with manual focus set but dont really know. So i am interested in any solutions found here.