Sony Newbie in need of lens advice! Upgrading from my Sony 1.8 prime

Jobeyo

I know this topic is out there in abundance but I wanted to put it in a forum where Sony products wouldn’t be bashed! 

I saved my pennies and finally switched from a canon 80D, using an APS-C sensor, to a Sony A7iii in September. This was in an attempt to change my hobby into something that might make me some weekend money. 

Annoyingly I could only afford to buy the Sony with the native 50mm 1.8. Unfortunately, the love affair of had with the nifty fifty from canon was sorely missed. Working as a part time family lifestyle photographer, I found it just lacked.... Something. 

Anyway, I’ve once again been saving and want your opinions on diversifying the lenses at my disposal. I think I miss the focal length of my crop 50mm, so the highly praised Sony 85mm 1.8 the first lens in leaning towards but would you then chop the 50mm in for a little more towards say a Sigma art 35 1.4. 

If you were after 2 general lifestyle primes to go with a 70-200 canon f4, what would they be? 

Thanks for your thoughts and I’m pleased to be joking the community! 

Hi. 

IMHO, the 85 f1.8 is one of the best lenses to own. It’s affordable, the AF is very fast, and the IQ is comparable with that of the GM (IMO).  That’s the easy bit. 

Whether to offload the 50 and go for 35 purely depends on you. The only person to answer that is yourself because of your comfort in shooting at whichever focal length and how wide open you want it to be.  

For me, my go to length is 24. I find the 28 & 35 too tight for my comfort and only use the 50mm when I want to get close ups.  It’s a personal preference. 

If it’s my decision, I’ll not sell the nifty because the resale value is really not great. I’d rather save up longer and get the 35 or the 28. 

Hope it helps. 

Unfortunately it may require more long term saving....but the new 24mm 1.4 is an absolutely magnificent lens.  It is, in my experience, one time you really get the quality the high price deserves.  I use it extensively for landscape, general walk around shooting, and some portraits.  

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, fwolff said:

I never thought of using a 24 for portraits, my impression is that you'll always end up with too wide or too much distortion when getting close. Also how does it compare to 24mm from the 24-70 or the 16-35?

Thanx

FW

It is true with a wide angle lens used as a portrait lens you have to be aware of noses, arms, legs.  But as a 24mm prime lens it is phenomenal.  Couple it with the Sony 85mm 1.8 and you have two superb primes.

42 minutes ago, tinplater said:

It is true with a wide angle lens used as a portrait lens you have to be aware of noses, arms, legs.  But as a 24mm prime lens it is phenomenal.  Couple it with the Sony 85mm 1.8 and you have two superb primes.

I totally agree. The 24GM is my go to lens now for majority of my shots. I pair it up with the Sigma 105 1.4 and occasionally with the 50 1.4, but the 24 is such a versatile lens. 

If considering a 2470 with the 24, one has to ask if the extra stops is what you need. If you’re comfortable with shooting at 2.8, then pay a bit more and you get a slightly slower lens, but you get more reach.  Both Lenses are great...