Capture One Pro 12 and Sony

Does anyone here use Capture One Pro with their Sony?

In the past year I moved from a Nikon D300 to a Sony a7rIII (loving it!) and am using Capture One Pro 12 as my RAW converter (the general version, not the dedicated Capture One Pro 12 for Sony). The reason being the dedicated Sony version cannot import my old Nikon NEF files.

Would there is any observed difference in the Sony ARW files between the 2 Capture One Pro 12 versions?

5 minutes ago, LiveShots said:

it should be the same, the only difference is support for non-Sony cameras have been removed from the software. Everything else is the same as far as I can see. I would recommend sending an email to their support just to clarify. 

As I had suspected will verify with Capture One's support. Thanks LiveShots for the reply.

Either version performs that same on Sony raw, and there is on the C1 website a comparison chart, for the two versions.

For me the tethering facility was what I wanted  along with the IPad connectivity facility. , but while it’s a bit of learning curve if your used to LR , it is streets ahead of LR for options and editing options.

i cannot praise their support enough, they respond normally with in the same day and alway have or find the solution to the problems.

Compaired to some others it’s reason enough to use C1

I tried using Capture One. Saw it's benefits but also some MAJOR limitations. First thing to realize is that Capture 1 is a Lightroom substitute and you still need Photoshop or similar program that implements well. It's layering is limited  to layer mask adjustments on a single file. Layers consisting of multiple files, such as sky replacement, are not possible and require something like Photoshop. Also coming from Nikon, those files, iPhone photo jpg, and even scanned photos/slides require some other program. Last year on a "Dump Adobe" kick, and happy to say was able to drop down from the full $49/mo CC to the $9.99 Photo/Lightroom plan as didn't have the workflow in place by the Adobe renewal anniversary. I upgraded Capture 1 from the original $50, last year's $79, but this year's $125...forget it when it only serves half my need, and the full version isn't worth it as again it would only serve half my need with no Photoshop equivalent. At $125, it is the same as Adobe's Photographer (PS/LR) plan that provides everything and who knows how much the Capture 1 upgrade will be next year, plus the upgrade of other programs. For the more advanced features and also for Nikon and other files, looked at Affinity Photo. It was OK but very confusing. Historically love Paintshop Pro as used it since a shareware program but am now using a Mac and Corel hasn't written it for that system. The best I have seen thus far - and duplicates a lot of Capture 1 to potentially use as a single program is On One Raw.

• 2 weeks later...

Another problem with Capture One is that it cannot handle large catalogues. To get around this they suggest you separate your shoots into multiple catalogues, say by year. This solution is untenable for me. I have a 90,000 raw image catalogue and need to search the whole catalogue at once. Lr allows this, and in fact does it blazingly fast.

Edited by chardinej