RX with zoom?

chrish

has anyone heard if sony (or anyone) has plans to produce somehting like the RX-1 with a fixed zoom lense?  that would be a holy grail camera for me, and i remember briefly reading about that as a rumor last year, but never heard anything again. 

i know the a7 is pretty small, but once you have a lense on there, that's not really the case anymore, however if there was something like the RX camera with a zoom, that would really be the only camera i'd ever need.

i have a bad feeling that rumor about the RX2 zoom i read was just a dream.

To accomplish that the camera would no longer be the small little mechanism you're imagining.

There are serious technical challenges to building dream cameras... That's why it is rarely done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What kind of zoom range were you dreaming of may i politely enquire?

of course i'm not sure what is even possible, i only got very excited when i first read that rumor, as the fixed focal length was the 1 true limiting factory for me with something like the RX1.  something like a 28-85 would be great, but really any range would be an improvement.  right now i shoot with a ricoh gr, and while it's perfect for me in nearly every way, there are definitely times when i just can't get the shot because i'm bound by the 28mm fixed lens. 

of course i'm not sure what is even possible, i only got very excited when i first read that rumor, as the fixed focal length was the 1 true limiting factory for me with something like the RX1.  something like a 28-85 would be great, but really any range would be an improvement.  right now i shoot with a ricoh gr, and while it's perfect for me in nearly every way, there are definitely times when i just can't get the shot because i'm bound by the 28mm fixed lens. 

barring full frame then, is there a great aps-c (eqivalent sensor to my ricoh gr) compact with a fixed zoom? 

Compact, as in GR compact, then the nearest option might be the RX100. I have both, GR is better ... but RX100 is really good too. The early models of the RX100 are still available and competitively priced. Leica made an X-Vario which is a fixed lens APS-C zoom, no longer compact, however a really good camera selling at heavy discount.

Best bet might be to buy whatever APS-C camera you like and glue a zoom lens to the front of it.

Compact, as in GR compact, then the nearest option might be the RX100. I have both, GR is better ... but RX100 is really good too. The early models of the RX100 are still available and competitively priced. Leica made an X-Vario which is a fixed lens APS-C zoom, no longer compact, however a really good camera selling at heavy discount.

Best bet might be to buy whatever APS-C camera you like and glue a zoom lens to the front of it.

good suggestions.  i'm sure i'm dreaming in asking for a camera as good and small as my ricoh with a zoom.  i've always hoped i could have just 1 all-purpose camera that was small enough that i'd actually always carry it with me, but i might have to wait a whole for technology to catch up with my dreams.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure that is such a good idea.  One reason that the IQ on the RX1 is so amazing is that Sony was able to perfectly match the fixed prime lens to the full frame sensor (crammed into that small form factor).  Lots of variables are thereby eliminated.  With zoom lenses, particularly interchangeable ones, there are inherent compromises in image quality and, while good engineering can somewhat compensate for those, when you are dealing with such a small form factor, I would think that substantially narrows the ability to compensate.  So I wonder if you could maintain the same level of image quality with a zoom lens.  (All that said, I'm no engineer.)

For many people, I would think that if your willing to pay the price for a RX1 with its compromises in other functionality, you are doing so because you really value the opportunity to tote around something that small which will still yields top-of-line image quality.  If Sony is going to be able to market the thing at the price it fetches, I don't believe they can afford any trade-off in that area with a RX1MII.

Other RXs have zoom and Sony's answer might be to suggest one of those.  As for me, I can use my feet most of the time and haven't really missed not having zoom.  A larger problem is that sometimes you want to get wider and can't, but clever people have self-made workarounds (as they have informed me).