21mm converter for 28mm f2 sample

N4865G

I attempted a night sky photography with my newly acquired 21mm converter add-on to excellent 28mm f2 lens.

Very happy with the result given difficult shooting environment and high ISO necessary to catch this (shot through the windcreen of an airliner travelling at 41000ft)

Thanks

Dom

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by N4865G

Didn't have the time to finish this up, this morning.

I now looked into this again, and drew some lines which extend some of the various motion-blurred light-streaks on the ground. And they seem to more or less converge all at the same vantage point. Which makes me think, that the bright structure in the lower left is also on the ground. I do, however, doubt a little bit that this was taken from a height of 41.000ft. It seems to be significantly lower than that. But of course, I could be mistaken.

Some legwork (finger work, actually) shows that the OP does appear to be an airline pilot. Wild guess: for a Mid-Eastern airline, based on the fact that he posted, in another thread, 3 photos definitely taken from a cockpit, 2 of them showing aircraft with the livery of 2 Gulf airlines.
Let us hope his employer does not ban the use of electronic devices in the cockpit, otherwise these photos might put him in the proverbial hot seat.
So, what is this huge rectangular light grid at the bottom of the photo, which does look like the reflection of a ceiling light fixture?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2019 at 6:29 PM, Raz said:

Some legwork (finger work, actually) shows that the OP does appear to be an airline pilot. Wild guess: for a Mid-Eastern airline, based on the fact that he posted, in another thread, 3 photos definitely taken from a cockpit, 2 of them showing aircraft with the livery of 2 Gulf airlines.
Let us hope his employer does not ban the use of electronic devices in the cockpit, otherwise these photos might put him in the proverbial hot seat.
So, what is this huge rectangular light grid at the bottom of the photo, which does look like the reflection of a ceiling light fixture?

Late reply as I simply forgot about this post - I apologize.

Shot taken at 41000 feet and the elongated structure on the ground seems to be some sort of massive greenhouse installation.

We are not allowed to be shooting in the cockpit in a way as to reveal the identity of the workplace or equipment/procedures used, so I will not be able to give you any more details.

The fact is, this platform offers excellent astro possibilities as there is no light/environmental pollution up high.

Of course, the standard astro setting guidelines do not apply here, as the vantage point moves at 600 miles an hour.

I normally shoot manual at ISO6400, 4 or 5 seconds and f2.2 to f2.8.

Thank you all for your kind words,

Dom

One more, shortly before sunrise with Venus and Jupiter clearly visible...

Dom