Sony Zeiss 55mm f1.8

Iansky

I have been contemplating a small fast prime for street work rather than using the 24-70,  after a lot of reading and watching reviews (I know some are biased/funded) I have opted for the Sony Zeiss 55mm f1.8 so that I can travel light and shoot wide open even in low light - it still has the £80 cash back on it as well!

I would appreciate any comments, feedback and images taken with this lens.

I understand it is not "weather sealed" but there seems to be mixed views on this. I will be using it on the A7iii I will be cautious about the elements.

Edited by Iansky

Original and cropped using a6000.Not my best photos but I wanted to show how much crop can be used and still get a sharp image.

I like this lens a lot, built quality and weight a both great.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Here's a snapshot of my daughter.  I ultimately sold my 55 1.8 and replaced it with the 50mm 1.4.  You can see the CA in the background.  The 55 is a terrific lens however.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Ian, I've temporarily uploaded some sample pictures at full resolution and maximum jpeg quality, taken with this lens on my a9, onto my flickr account. I will delete those  after a week or so.

It's a great lens in absolute terms, and also great value for the money, too. Did you see it's rating on dxomark?

Edited by Chrissie