Sony A7iii and Nissin i40 flash combination: anyone using?

patb

Hi, is anyone using the above combination? I've only recently purchased the Nissin i40 flash for on-camera flash (pretty new to flash in general) but can't figure out how to match the A7iii settings to it. The only thing that seems to work is setting the camera to Auto and the flash to Auto, which effectively turns the camera into a point-and-shoot. I've seen on very old posts that people had good results pairing the i40 with Sony A7 and A7ii, but no details how they set the two of them up. I'd like to get the benefits of TTL etc, but no matter what combination of settings I try, I end up with hopelessly underexposed (i.e. over-compensated) shots.

Would love to hear from anyone who has this combination working for them, as I'm sure it must be possible to do better than I'm doing right now! Thanks

Preface by saying I rarely use flash.  However I do have the Nissin i40 and i60 flashes and they work perfectly.  You should start by going to the menu camera icon #1 page 11/14 "Flash".  I use fill flash, flash comp 0 Exp Comp Ambient & Flash.  Set my flash unit to TTL (left dial) and Exp to 0.0 (large right dial)  Because these dials can inadvertantly be moved, I put a small white sticker on the dial for alignment at above settings.  I like to use manual on the camera and experiment with different shutter speeds, aperture, exp. compensation to get a nice balance between ambient and flash lighting.

This should get you started with some properly exposed images...after that you're on your own to explore the confusing number of adjustments you can make to your flash photography.