Any users of " Center lock-on autofocus" on 6500

13 hours ago, desert_view said:

I plan to try "Center lock-on autofocus" setting for photographing fast radio-controlled model airplanes. Does anyone have experience with this setting and willing to share some pointers?

I think you can get expert guidance from photographers who specialize in birds in flight and aviation photography.  Lock on is helpful when objects come between you and your target, like a soccer match, etc.  Like Les commented,  continuous focus with wide focus area is probably a good option where your target is pretty much isolated from the background.  Try a google search for camera settings for birds in flight or aviation photography and see if that gets you what you need.

• 5 weeks later...

I have a some different related questions to Center Lock-On autofocus.  Is it correct when every time you want to use this feature, you need to go into your camera menu and select this function again?  I was thinking that pushing the center button of my dial would activate this feature since my camera setting is still set to ON (i.e. when the camera was turned off and then back on for another time).  However, it only seems to work when i go back to set that feature again within the menu.  Is that correct?  

Is there a way to program a custom button of FN button to re-activate that option to make it easier to use it from one subject to another subject?