Sony 70-200F2.8 no communication....

PeterPraum

Hi,

I'm using the Sony 70-200F2.8 (bought SEP/2018 @BH NYC) with my a6500 and a7Riii.

The last weeks, I used the lens in temperatures around freezing (0-3'C / 35'F) and I noticed that the communication between the body and lens stopped working after approx 30..45min.

AF/F stop changing/...  dosen't work anymore.

Back home in the warm surrounding, the lens started working again.

I went to B&H (Store Manhattan) and they addressed me to the Sony service store in NYC.

They checked the lens and according them, the lens is ok.

But I can't believe this!
I tried it several times, on a total of three Sony bodies and I can reproduce the fault every time.

All other lenses (sony/sigma/..) working without any faults in the cold, on both bodies!

Any ideas or recommendations?

Thx Peter

42 minutes ago, LiveShots said:

Your other lenses are black, the 70-200 is white, this helps to reduce heat build up but works against the lens in cold weather as it won’t absorb any heat from sunlight.  

I would try getting a scope-coat for the lens when using it in below freezing temps,

I agree with your idea about the colour and the different temp. workflow.

But the same happens, when I place the equipment in a backpack on my balcony (no sunlight) and wait till the EQP is getting down to the ambient temp (around 0'C / 35'F).
I take the EQP (in cold conditions) out of the backpack and the 70-200 dosent work, all other lenses works.

And Im pretty sure, that the 70-200F2.8 GM Lens is for professional photographer desingt and not for indoor only.... ?

I found a Photostore here in Hoboken and they going to support me. They going to send the lens to Sony for detail inspection.  

Keep you posted.

Peter

I photograph my child's ringette (ice sport similar to hockey) games and have the same problem with the 70-200 GM on my A7RII. It usually works at the beginning, but if there is a long break in the game (intermission, half-time), the camera will often not be able to communicate with the lens and AF stops working. I usually wrap my thumb and finger around the collar of the lens where it attaches to the camera to warm it up. Sometimes though, it only starts working after depressing the shutter several times. 

Please keep us informed about what you find out from Sony. 

Cheers,

David

Hearing this story is scaring the heck out of me. I recently switched over to Sony completely and am using it in winter for the first time. I haven’t had any trouble yet with my 70-200 f2.8 (but only got it recently) nor with my 100-400 (which I’ve had for a while) yet but I will be doing a lot of shooting with those lenses this winter and likely in temperatures much colder than what you mentioned. I’ll be interested to hear what the repair folks have to say. Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

my lens is back from the Repair.
I added a detailed explanation of the problem/trouble shooting i did/....
The local shop send the lens to Sony and they changed the OPTICAL BODY.

The last days, I tested the lens (32-35'F / 2-5'C;  that's the temp range when the issues started) and the lens is working. I have no issues anymore!
Lets hope for temp below freezing the next days... for few more tests. 

Peter