SAF Admin

Survey "What Sony Alpha Do You Have?"

Your Sony Alpha Camera  

602 members have voted

1. 1. What Sony Alpha Cameras do you use?

• Sony Alpha 7 / 7R / 7S
    • Sony Alpha 6000 / 5000 / 5100
    • Sony Alpha 3000
    • Sony NEX 7 / NEX 6 / NEX 5T
    • Other Sony NEX
    • Sony Alpha SLT
    • Sony Alpha DSLR
    • No Sony Alpha until now

Started with Olympus OM10 then OM1n a 'lifetime' ago.... Then mainly Canon ending up with 2 Canon 70Ds (aps-c) one right after the other (pretty much wore out the first one...)

Then became transfixed on how neat, compact and 'quality' the Sony a6000 is and 'jumped ship' selling all my Canon gear. Initially less impressed by EVF quality on the a6000 and then unhappy about perceived image quality (as I seemed to have to do a lot of edits in Lightroom on every image) - most likely it was the kit lens. Then traded the a6000 for an a6300 (on trial) which lasted a short number of days before I went for the a6500 which I find fantastic! But I would just love to try an a7ii.... (the devil's on my shoulder...)

I still 'grouch' about the limited offering of quality e-mount zoom (or prime) e-mount lenses at the 200mm+ end.

Edited by PeterMac
Pressed 'save' too soon...

I have a Sony A7R II (and also a Nex 6). I used Canon for many years, culminating in a Canon 5D II, but I found them very heavy to carry as I got older, especially with the L glass lenses attached. So I tried the Nex 6 and then the A7. They were lighter and produced good pics. When the A7R II was released, I thought the in body image stabilisation would help with my shaky hands (I am 74 years old now).

So now I use the A7R Mk II and find it light and easy to handle, I mostly use prime lenses. My favourite lens is my Zeiss Batis 25mm, but I also have the Sony Zeiss 35mm F/2.8 and several old Minolta primes.

I use the A7iii because it was a substantial upgrade to my A7rii. Better focus, battery life and I don't need the extra MPs. Love using this body with the 70-200GM for headshots.

Edited by DanHiltonPhotography

Still have my A7R2 and 24-70mm F2.8 GM but have just purchased the 16-35mm F2.8 GM. I really love this lens, as it's tack sharp and weighs less than the 24-70mm. Photo's that I have taken so far are lovely and dramatic. (in my opinion)

A7RII Why?

I wanted to take photography seriously so I had a choice between

Nikon D5 / Cannon 5D MKIII ( I swore never to go to Cannon ) / and SONY A7RII.
Out of all the reviews it seems that SONY A7RII even challenges the Medium Frame.. It was far better then the Cannon, less expensive then the Nikon and also featured low-light abilities.

However looking back at the decision after seeing the Release support on the A99 series makes me think I should have purchased that instead. However I have hit this camera all over the place with no damage ( so far ). I have taken it out into rain ( not direct rain but still wet ) and into hot weather and it still functions.

The support for play memories gives it more innovations outside the cameras official firmware.

I love the feel and I love how it is purposely setup for my hands.Of all the crappy store cameras you see in any mall only the Nikon has the nearest feeling. The consumer line of A6000/A6500 is not my cup of tea and the lack of operations on most of these cameras are useless in comparison with the many options the A7RII.

Again I still have to deal with setting up pre-made settings and dealing with manual flash speeds to get the most fastest flash. The official flash seems to be in Lo speed and makes me look bad in front of Nikon users.

If I could get 1/2000 or even 1/8000 speed from portable strobes it would make the experience all the better. Again in ( Hi ) shutter mode and not ( Lo ).

Currently using a Sony A7R III. I have a A7R IV on order.

Ive been a big FujiFilm user since the first X-100 came out, but need the higher resolution of the Sony's for the type of tight cropping I need to do frequently.

Startet with Minolta 7000, switched to Sony Alpha 500.

Since last year I have a Sony A77ii and got a Sony A99ii this May. I have a lot of Minolta a-Mount lenses which I took from ebay.

On 3/14/2020 at 12:50 PM, Albert Abdul-Barr Wang said:

I use a Sony A100 mostly but also have a a6500 and a7rii around as well. Those new cameras are nice but battery life isn't great.

yeah that was the struggle for me, went full frame recently with two a7iii but still had a6400 a6300 a6000 which have those smaller batteries, sold them & got the a6600 now all my cameras have Z battery = its very convenient 

Posted (edited)

I previously was a Canon film user since age 15. Switched to Leica Film in my Late 30s.At age 50 Bought a Nex 7 at when it came out to Use my Leica lenses on a digital body. Got hooked on Sony. Have owned an A7 as well as an A7rii. Currently shoot with an A7riv and 6 different Sony Lenses. Great stuff. Sold all of my Leica gear.

Edited by Jeffreykmd

Coming from Canon DSLR, Sony Alpha was the best choice for me jumping to the mirrorless system, took me a while to be convinced, but after seeing what Sony's are capable off,  did not hesitate to get my A73 & A6600, haven't tested the full potentials of both bodies due to the lockdown, but looking forward as soon as the situation gets a bit better.

I was previously a Nikon film SLR user.  I switched to Sony stuff around 2006 or 2007 with the purchase of the A300 for work documentation purposes.  I broke that camera and went to the A58 for that purpose.  The work camera often got handled roughly at times.  For hobbyist stuff I got a A65 when it was first released and have since gotten both the A77 and A77ii.