Survey "What Sony Alpha Do You Have?"

Your Sony Alpha Camera  

630 members have voted

1. 1. What Sony Alpha Cameras do you use?

• Sony Alpha 7 / 7R / 7S
    • Sony Alpha 6000 / 5000 / 5100
    • Sony Alpha 3000
    • Sony NEX 7 / NEX 6 / NEX 5T
    • Other Sony NEX
    • Sony Alpha SLT
    • Sony Alpha DSLR
    • No Sony Alpha until now

This poll is closed to new votes

• 1 month later...

I have an A7ii.   I spent most of my time in large and medium format film, then took a long break using only point and shoot digitals for personal shots, and now the A7.   Working in Photoshop sure beats sitting in a darkroom for hours, plus there is so much more that you can do.

Beside my old stuff - KM 7D/A700 etc. i have

A77

A77II

A99 (x2)

A6000

I´m pretty happy with the A600 with the LA-EA4 adapter, so i can use my ZA and "G" glasses on it!

BUT my favourite is still my A99´s!

Just bought a brand new 6 month ago - now that the A99II rules, the old A99 was a quite good bargain (less than 1/2 price of A99II), and for my type of photography, the mkII is overkill!

- Well . . . i guess i buy one later, anyway.

• 2 months later...

I have the a33 I purchased it when Sony only had the a33 and a55.   I originally went to purchase a camcorder for filming those "wonderful" family moments.    I was shown that the a33 filmed in HD and thought it pretty neat.   In high school I took photos for the year book on film.   I picked up the a33 to get back into a little photography and also to make home videos. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest Jaf-Photo

I just bought my first DSLR and went for a used Sony Alpha 350  :)

That camera has a good sensor so you can expect nice images.

That camera has a good sensor so you can expect nice images.

I'm a real newbie in this field and will be a way to learn the concepts of everything!! Got it with a 28-70mm Tokina lens and a 28-200mm Tamron lens plus some more stuff. But I was scared that it wasn't a very good camera or something but I risked it and I'm loving ir, even though its a little old now.

Guest Jaf-Photo

Well, I use even older cameras on a regular basis. Sony had a different engineering philosophy back then. They had more focus on quality and less focus on bells and whistles, which is why the equipment still works.

One tip is to check out some Minolta AF lenses. They are very affordable and are a very good match for Sony cameras as Sony bought Minolta's products and engineers to build their camera business.

There is lots of information at http://www.dyxum.com.

Well, I use even older cameras on a regular basis. Sony had a different engineering philosophy back then. They had more focus on quality and less focus on bells and whistles, which is why the equipment still works.

One tip is to check out some Minolta AF lenses. They are very affordable and are a very good match for Sony cameras as Sony bought Minolta's products and engineers to build their camera business.

There is lots of information at http://www.dyxum.com.

That seems to be great for these older ones then!! Didn't know that!

Right now my camera budget was topped (the camera + lenses + grip with extra batteries + bag + 3 compact flash cards were um total 250€) but am looking at some gear like a 50mm prime lens and will surely look até minolta gear thank you!!

Guest Jaf-Photo

That's about the going rate. Do have a look at the Minolta AF 50mm f1.4. It's a nice lens and even a bit sharper than the later Sony rebranded version. They go for about €150. Alternatively, you can go for the Minolta AF 50mm f1.7. It's a lot cheaper, maybe €60 but the bokeh is not as smooth as the f1.4 version. If you're having trouble finding these used lenses, some stores still carry the Sony SAL50F18 which is a worty lens at about €120.

...... Alternatively, you can go for the Minolta AF 50mm f1.7. .......

Some reviewers dump on this lens. Is that any impediment 

to great pix ? Try this experiment: Grab a Reviewer, shove 

and SD card and a Battery into his orifices, and now go out 

and make some fine images with that rig.  

I like this lens so much I have at least 4 copies, all left over 

from my film era Maxxums. And altho there's enuf demand 

for these that I could easily cull the herd, they don't bring a 

big price, so why not keep one in every bag ? Which I do !  

And acoarst the lack of a big price means there's hardly any   

excuse for not acquiring your first one :-) 

Guest Jaf-Photo

It's not as nice as the 50/1.4. So, I'd rather have one 50/1.4 than four 50/1.7.

There are pages with sample photos on Dyxum. Check those before you buy.

• 2 weeks later...

Still own and use A100,A65,A99,A99M2.The latter is just an awesome camera teamed with Zeiss 24/70 the image quality is superb.So pleased Sony rewarded long time A Mount users like myself with such a great camera.A Mount still rocks.

Guest Jaf-Photo

Still own and use A100,A65,A99,A99M2.The latter is just an awesome camera teamed with Zeiss 24/70 the image quality is superb.So pleased Sony rewarded long time A Mount users like myself with such a great camera.A Mount still rocks.

Yeah, the A99II is amazing. Like you say it elevates the already great A-mount lenses to new levels of performance. The Zeiss-branded lenses really measure up to the A99II. I use several other cameras, so I still get a thrill every time I bring out the A99II.

I have an Alpha 700, A900, and an Alpha 99.

All are 2nd hand, and the reason was that there was an ocean of hi quality used lenses out there, just dying to meet me.

I have 85% of all the AF Minolta lens range and a few Sony Zeiss lenses.

The great part of owning the A99 is one is not railroaded into a new array of E-mount lenses.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

7RM3 that was a gift from an employee! who made 10 bitcoin! from a side-gig managing the database and app for the Xmas-day ICO for a new crypto currency! (that later turned out to be a scam!) while visiting us as guest with SO over the holidays.

Great story. Great cam too but you don't need me to explain consumer electronics.