Survey "What Sony Alpha Do You Have?"

Your Sony Alpha Camera  

630 members have voted

1. 1. What Sony Alpha Cameras do you use?

• Sony Alpha 7 / 7R / 7S
    • Sony Alpha 6000 / 5000 / 5100
    • Sony Alpha 3000
    • Sony NEX 7 / NEX 6 / NEX 5T
    • Other Sony NEX
    • Sony Alpha SLT
    • Sony Alpha DSLR
    • No Sony Alpha until now

This poll is closed to new votes

Until some 25 years ago I was an enthusiastic young photographer but my priority of spending money changed when I became a student. So I exchanged my Minolta XG-M, my filters, my lenses, an ancient Voitgtländer viewfinder camera (I guess it was a Vitoret) and my darkroom equipment (I remember the Meopta Opemus 5a) for some cases of beer (I guess).

From that time onward I didn't do a lot of photographing besides some common snapshotting. I remember I owned an APS-camera for the holidays and when money came in with my first real job I bought my first digital: an Olympus C-900 zoom. Later on, two Ixuses followed. But the camera's were mainly used for the holidays (and for the cats, because we all know, they're funny).

Three years ago a colleague somehow re-infected me with the photography virus. I started researching what I should buy and read about the cool stuff one could do with old lenses on new camera's. So I went to the shop and bought a second hand NEX6 to find out if I would really like that. I owned it for a short while and brought it back as it was failing multiple times. But I'd already fallen in love with the system and bought an A6000. And I'm still very happy with it!

And now, as I like landscape photography, I'm thinking of moving forward to FF. Don't know if it's really necessary as I'm not a professional, but hey, we all like gadgets!

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought the Sony A6300.  I have been shooting with a Sony point and shoot DSC HX50V and felt it was time to upgrade to a mirrorless camera.  I loved my old Sony, but this is going to be a huge learning curve for me.  I bought the 18-55mm lens as my walk around lens and the 55 to 210mm telephoto.  I love shooting a variety of images from macro to landscape.  Any recommendations or assistance is greatly appreciated.

• 1 month later...

I switched to Sony with the A100 then about 4 years ago moved up to the A55 which was a great little camera and travelled the world with me, mostly with a Tamron 18-270 for lightness and simplicity. Last year I upgraded to the aA77ii and have not been disappointed. Current glass includes the ever faithful Tamron, a Sony SAL35f1.8 prime, a Sony SAL1650f2.8, and a Sigma 50-500 for wildlife.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I bought a Sony a6000 It is cheap now and I could not see much of a difference from the a6300 that would matter to me. I have been using an Olympus E520 and a Leica D-LUX 6 for a long time so it was quite an upgrade on my digital cameraes. I love the fact that I can use all my old lenses from the analogue cameraes I am shooting with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I just acquired an A77 used.Just a hobbies that like to go out and shoot for the fun of it, so this new addition to my collection has re-kindled my interest in the photography hobby.  And have own a A100 that I plan on keeping till it dies.

Sorry to see the list of Alpha models in the survey so short.  I'm with A-mount because of my long experience with Minolta bodies, first the Maxxum 9000, then the Sony A100, my current workhorse A700, and, now, at this late date, two Maxxum 9 film bodies (one is the Alpha 9 - Japanese badging).

I look on in awe with what some of the newer bodies can do, but doubt I will ever upgrade (unless my A700 bites the dust).

I'm not into EVF even given knowledge of some of its advantages.  But, I never say never. 

New to this forum, and enjoying the many wonderful threads.  I wish, however, I could find more that dealt with my A700.  I guess the A700 shooters are all out shooting, LOL.

Thanks for the great reads.

Caruso

• 1 month later...

I have the a7RII and the a7SII, using them primarily for landscape and studio photography. The Sony was recommended to me by Geoff Ross during a polar bear expedition to Svalbard.

Having been a Canon shooter since 1983, the ability to use all of my EF lenses with the Alphas using the Metabones adapter was intriguing.

Once Sony released firmware allowing uncompressed 14-bit raw files, I jumped on them.

I pre-ordered the a9 yesterday. Can't wait to see how it will stack up against my Canon 1D-X II.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been a Nikon guy since the early 80's. Currently own and use the D500. Ordered a Sony A6000 refurb and looking forward to receiving it. Traveling to S. Africa with my daughter June 11-25th on Safari. Bought the A6000 for her to use. Price was right. I will also keep the A6000 for my daily camera for work documenting pictures of our AV installations. Mainly church video systems

I have a feeling I will end up loving the A6000 and will end up using it more than my D500. I have a number of Nikon lenses including the 80-400mm which I use for wildlife photography. .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A900 DSLR with a few lenses. I started my photography hobby as a teen and my first camera was a Minolta Maxxum 9000 (my parents actually upgraded me from what I asked Santa for). When digital started to become popular, I craved a DSLR, but then-Konica Minolta was slow to the game and I almost jumped ship. Then the KM 7D was released and I bought one right away. Since then I've replaced all my original lenses and maintained the A-mount after Sony bought KM's photography division. I prefer the ergonomics of Sony to Canon or Nikon—I've tried those and always felt myself fumbling for the right buttons. 

• 2 weeks later...

We are curious (maybe you are too...)

What Sony Alpha Do You Have?

And leave a comment why you are using it...

Thx

Andreas

a7R ll still using my Leica M film camera and my Rolleiflex 3.5f as well. You can't keep a film man down?

I have an A58 4 years ago and now have a fairly decent collection of A-mount lenses.  Had stopped using my Canon A1 just didn't have time and film was a pain.  My wife had bought it as an engagement present but as a retirement present she upgraded me to the A-58.

Now I am thinking of my next camera and I simply do not want to loose my investment in A-Mount lenses but want a full frame camera.

The A99ii looks interest as does the A-7Rii which is an e-mount.

Would love to get some suggestions on what you think should be my next camera while still protecting my investment in lenses.

Been an avid Nikonian - until I saw, felt and played around w/A6000 at Best Buy.  That urged me to look further into Sony A7.  Specs alone convinced my it was time to go 'Smaller et Lighter'.  Had had my eye on the Nikon 5s ($5,000 plus) for its light sensitivity.  Then comes the A7 ll to break the barrier. 

In my mind, Sony broke the rules, thought out-of-the-box and presented me with a radical design for half the price and then some.   Summarily, it's like touring the Alps in a sports car, leaving the bull-dozer home to rest.

A330 had it for 7 years now, with tamron 70-300 and sam 18-55 lenses, happy with it but thinking of getting a A6300 mainly for the 4k video, which I can get on my phone but no zoom and only for about 8 minutes before the heat protection cuts it off.