Survey "What Sony Alpha Do You Have?"

Your Sony Alpha Camera  

630 members have voted

1. 1. What Sony Alpha Cameras do you use?

• Sony Alpha 7 / 7R / 7S
    • Sony Alpha 6000 / 5000 / 5100
    • Sony Alpha 3000
    • Sony NEX 7 / NEX 6 / NEX 5T
    • Other Sony NEX
    • Sony Alpha SLT
    • Sony Alpha DSLR
    • No Sony Alpha until now

This poll is closed to new votes

Started with Olympus OM10 then OM1n a 'lifetime' ago.... Then mainly Canon ending up with 2 Canon 70Ds (aps-c) one right after the other (pretty much wore out the first one...)

Then became transfixed on how neat, compact and 'quality' the Sony a6000 is and 'jumped ship' selling all my Canon gear. Initially less impressed by EVF quality on the a6000 and then unhappy about perceived image quality (as I seemed to have to do a lot of edits in Lightroom on every image) - most likely it was the kit lens. Then traded the a6000 for an a6300 (on trial) which lasted a short number of days before I went for the a6500 which I find fantastic! But I would just love to try an a7ii.... (the devil's on my shoulder...)

I still 'grouch' about the limited offering of quality e-mount zoom (or prime) e-mount lenses at the 200mm+ end.

Edited by PeterMac
Pressed 'save' too soon...

I have a Sony A7R II (and also a Nex 6). I used Canon for many years, culminating in a Canon 5D II, but I found them very heavy to carry as I got older, especially with the L glass lenses attached. So I tried the Nex 6 and then the A7. They were lighter and produced good pics. When the A7R II was released, I thought the in body image stabilisation would help with my shaky hands (I am 74 years old now).

So now I use the A7R Mk II and find it light and easy to handle, I mostly use prime lenses. My favourite lens is my Zeiss Batis 25mm, but I also have the Sony Zeiss 35mm F/2.8 and several old Minolta primes.

• 2 months later...

Still have my A7R2 and 24-70mm F2.8 GM but have just purchased the 16-35mm F2.8 GM. I really love this lens, as it's tack sharp and weighs less than the 24-70mm. Photo's that I have taken so far are lovely and dramatic. (in my opinion)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A7RII Why?

I wanted to take photography seriously so I had a choice between

Nikon D5 / Cannon 5D MKIII ( I swore never to go to Cannon ) / and SONY A7RII.
Out of all the reviews it seems that SONY A7RII even challenges the Medium Frame.. It was far better then the Cannon, less expensive then the Nikon and also featured low-light abilities.

However looking back at the decision after seeing the Release support on the A99 series makes me think I should have purchased that instead. However I have hit this camera all over the place with no damage ( so far ). I have taken it out into rain ( not direct rain but still wet ) and into hot weather and it still functions.

The support for play memories gives it more innovations outside the cameras official firmware.

I love the feel and I love how it is purposely setup for my hands.Of all the crappy store cameras you see in any mall only the Nikon has the nearest feeling. The consumer line of A6000/A6500 is not my cup of tea and the lack of operations on most of these cameras are useless in comparison with the many options the A7RII.

Again I still have to deal with setting up pre-made settings and dealing with manual flash speeds to get the most fastest flash. The official flash seems to be in Lo speed and makes me look bad in front of Nikon users.

If I could get 1/2000 or even 1/8000 speed from portable strobes it would make the experience all the better. Again in ( Hi ) shutter mode and not ( Lo ).

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hola, yo SONY A7III + SONY 24-105mm salu2 de Felipe  ?

A7_05760 por freme_3 , en Flickr

• FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS
  • ƒ / 9.0
  •  
  • 57,0 mm
  •  
  • 1/125
  •  
Edited by felipe

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/14/2020 at 12:50 PM, Albert Abdul-Barr Wang said:

I use a Sony A100 mostly but also have a a6500 and a7rii around as well. Those new cameras are nice but battery life isn't great.

yeah that was the struggle for me, went full frame recently with two a7iii but still had a6400 a6300 a6000 which have those smaller batteries, sold them & got the a6600 now all my cameras have Z battery = its very convenient 

• 1 month later...

I previously was a Canon film user since age 15. Switched to Leica Film in my Late 30s.At age 50 Bought a Nex 7 at when it came out to Use my Leica lenses on a digital body. Got hooked on Sony. Have owned an A7 as well as an A7rii. Currently shoot with an A7riv and 6 different Sony Lenses. Great stuff. Sold all of my Leica gear.

Edited by Jeffreykmd

• 2 months later...

Coming from Canon DSLR, Sony Alpha was the best choice for me jumping to the mirrorless system, took me a while to be convinced, but after seeing what Sony's are capable off,  did not hesitate to get my A73 & A6600, haven't tested the full potentials of both bodies due to the lockdown, but looking forward as soon as the situation gets a bit better.

• 2 weeks later...

I was previously a Nikon film SLR user.  I switched to Sony stuff around 2006 or 2007 with the purchase of the A300 for work documentation purposes.  I broke that camera and went to the A58 for that purpose.  The work camera often got handled roughly at times.  For hobbyist stuff I got a A65 when it was first released and have since gotten both the A77 and A77ii.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Summer of 2020, I was counseled by a friend to hold off on the new Canon R6-- Sony was releasing a new video-oriented Alpha- which still looked like a DLSR! 

My first Alpha was the SLT-A57, an APS-C kit which I rescued from the fire of 2015-- leaving my A1U CMOS camera to drown in fire water. I used the Alpha to document the fire which drove me and 35 neighboring residents out of our condos. I donated the edited result to the fire department- they loved it. I still use the A57 now and then.

But when the A7Siii released I pounced, and added a big ole Sigma art lens. Three months later, it's completely tricked out with Sony parts, Smallrig cage and extras, plus Cavate, FilmCity, and Tllta gizmos. It's a United Nations camera system with parts from India, China, Japan, Taiwan...who knows where else? Maybe even US? And I can still lift it for verite shoots. It's a dream come true. Except.. where's the on switch agai- oh, there it is!

Hope to learn nuances, hints, and tips about it right here, with focus on internal and Ninja V high end codecs and workflows.

Best, as always,

Loren

• 2 weeks later...

My digital photography progression started with a Cybershot, Then an "end-of-line"  A100 dslr.

More recently moved up to a used A68 csc SLT and now also have a used A 99 full frame SLT.

By looking for "end -of- line" or used equipment I've managed to get really nice kit for affordable money.

My lenses now include Tamron 15-30mm f/2.8, Sony/Zeiss 24-70mm f/2.8, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 "Art' - all great lenses with a high reputation for a reasonable price.

Again, by buying used, my grand daughters have an A 200 and an A 700, each of which cost us about £100 with kit lenses. So we can go out and create photos together (mind you, I have to watch they don't hog my telephoto lenses!)

• 2 weeks later...

I just moved from a LUMIX GH5 to the A7SIII, and I couldn’t be happier! I also couldn’t be poorer. ?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Iceland in 2018 and my Sherpa (wife) complained about the size and weight of my Nikon DSLR camera equipment.  Took my first serious look at mirrorless, and my research told me that Sony was the way to go.  (A surprise.  I thought it would be Fuji.)  When Ken Rockwell, who I always trusted for my Nikon reviews, said that "Dollar-for-dollar, the Sony A7 III is the best full-frame mirrorless camera ever created" that was it for me.

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought 2 x A7R IV's and I'm really pleased with them. 

I would like to see a couple of firmware updates on them. The first would be the shutter closing over the sensor when the power if off for lens changes would be huge for a lot of people. Other Mirrorless cameras I have owned recently like the GFX 50R and SL2 are nowhere near as prone to catching dust as the Sony's are. 

The second would be a Lossless compressed Raw format, other than that. I'm happy.

I still love the size and feel of the Sony, much easier to carry around with some stunning image quality too.

4 minutes ago, martynhicks said:

The first would be the shutter closing over the sensor when the power if off for lens changes would be huge for a lot of people.

I really don't get the fuss about this, imo it's just a marketing gimmick with questionable use cases:

- Where do you think the dust goes when the shutter actuates, after catching some dust during a lens change? The dust doesn't magically disappear, the shutter will send the dust particles flying through the sensor chamber and they'll still land on your sensor.

- The shutter mechanism is an expensive and delicate piece of engineering. You really don't want to have to clean the shutter blades in case they somehow catch some sticky muck. Your sensor cover glass on the other hand is designed to protect the sensor and withstand some occasional cleaning.

In my opinion the shutter blades are exactly where they should be during a lens change: safely stowed and out of harms way.