A7Rii cannot import from SD Card. Need help!

I recently purchased an A7Rii and I'm new to Sony cameras. I took some shots and I am trying to import my photos and videos onto my Mac, but it will not recognize the files. I've looked up several things online, but I'm not sure if I need to reformat the SD card or if I need to do something else.

I don't mind reformatting the SD Card, but I assumed the camera did that automatically when I inserted it for the first time since it was a brand new SD card. I don't mind losing an hour or two worth of shooting by reformatting if I'm certain it will work. 

Can anyone confirm this for me or let me know how I can easily drag and drop them from my SD Card folder onto my Mac?

Thank you.

What OS do you have on your Mac ?

Are you shooting RAW or JPG ?

If the former then you may need to tell it what program to use to open the file (ctrl/click and then Open with). You should be able to use Photos for that or try the imaging software that came with the camera. If using JPG then the files should open , if they don't then format the card and try again. Anytime you insert a brand new card you should format in camera, never format the card with a pc/mac as it can screw up the file structure. 

I am shooting RAW uncompressed XAVC S 4K video and the equivalent stills. 

I am running the OS X operating system on my Mac.

With my other cameras, its as simple as opening the SD Card and dragging and dropping into Photos or anywhere on my computer. When I do that now I get an error message that pops up.

This is the file structure from my a9… I am using Mojave 10.14.1

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Check your permissions for the file, using Get Info. You should have Read/Write access.

Also check that the SD card is not locked...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

52 minutes ago, samneitzel said:

with a generic Error code 43 or something of that nature.

It always amazes me how someone with an alleged problem and who needs help is too lazy to properly describe it. So it can't be serious, obviously.

16 minutes ago, LiveShots said:

Also check that the SD card is not locked...

not relevant, as he only wants to read from it. This locking tab is a write protection ?

1 minute ago, Chrissie said:

It always amazes me how someone with an alleged problem and who needs help is too lazy to properly describe it. So it can't be serious, obviously.

not relevant, as he only wants to read from it. This locking tab is a write protection ?

This is serious. I am at work and away from my home computer and camera at the moment so I cannot replicate the error message...

16 minutes ago, samneitzel said:

This is serious. I am at work and away from my home computer and camera at the moment so I cannot replicate the error message...

So, since you can't do anything about it at the moment anyhow, let's park this topic until you provide detailed information about it. There's an infinite amount of things which could go wrong, and there's no point in guessing. 

Hi, I feel your pain as I have had issues with RAW and my Mac (which is running 10.13.6 on a 2009 model).  I would suggest, as a start, that you insert and open your card, right click on a raw file, and scroll through the "open with" options.  My version of lightroom will not open the new Sony RAW files, so if I were to shoot RAW, I have to use a program that will open this Sony latest RAW format.  On my mac I can use Digital Negative Converter, Perfectly Clear, DXO labs, etc.  However in my case the process is intolerably slow so I just shoot JPEG until I can convince my wife I need a new computer!  It literally takes a couple of minutes to load a single file from my A7III.

• 2 months later...

In my experience with Mac it is terrible at handling files. It writes something to the USB drive ( even a small write ) just to read. IDK if this is the case with your SD card. I have my mac setup to show all hidden files. There are so many. Windows does a small write to read the file system ( newer windows ) Again I am referring to USB.

if you can see and preview all the files on the camera then there should be no problem. However...

A7RII is usb 2.0 and is sluggish when connected directly so I just pop the SD card into a reader slot. Currently I am using my labtop that has the lanes ( computer talk ) to read the SD card fast enough.

A7RII is sluggish stand alone to any machine ( am talking RAW/ARW images ). While the A7RIII has USB3.0 along with many Canon and Nikon brands.

Also

Your SD card might have a lock switch on it. This prevents writing to the card from most machines that understands the lock. As mentioned both windows and Mac writes a file to read. Especially the mac.

I will be honest I give up on Macs. The display are great ( the stand alone displays ) but everything else may it be intel/PPC is not really for me