I recently received a Sony 24-104 f4 lens and I love it.  This lens is so versatile.  I can see this as my main travel lens.  On most trips I will still take the Sony 16-35 f2.8 GM for landscapes.  Smaller international airlines have a 8KG carry on luggage limit.  That means a maximum of three lenses so selection is very important.  

Don't just take my word for it.  The reviews for this lens are really outstanding.  Some are even saying go with this lens over the 24-70 f2.8 GM.  Much cheaper and lighter.

When the 24-105 first came out I criticized a guy who gave a review saying the 24-105 was sharp at all focal lengths at all apertures. I told him no zoom is sharp at all focal lengths at all apertures. Well, it turns out I was wrong. My 24-105 is just amazing.

On 12/8/2018 at 5:27 AM, steve of stonehenge said:

"I recently received a Sony 24-104 f4 lens and I love it.  This lens is so versatile.  I can see this as my main travel lens.  On most trips I will still take the Sony 16-35 f2.8 GM for landscapes.  Smaller international airlines have a 8KG carry on luggage limit.  That means a maximum of three lenses so selection is very important.  

Don't just take my word for it.  The reviews for this lens are really outstanding.  Some are even saying go with this lens over the 24-70 f2.8 GM.  Much cheaper and lighter."

In reply:

I had both (24-70 and 24-105) and the 24-70 is the best general zoom I have ever used.  I had to decide between image quality and 2.8 speed versus greater range and lighter weight and ended up selling the 24-105 on Craigs List.  I had about a dozen inquiries within hours of my listing.  It is an excellent in demand lens for sure. 

Edited by tinplater
added clarity

Yeah the 24-105 is awesome and sometimes I am torn between whether to bring it or my 16-35 f2.8 as a third lens. If I'm doing wide landscapes or astro then 16-35 for sure but if not, the 24-105 is so much more tempting. It's smaller, lighter, has a wider focal length range. 

Just jumped to Sony from Nikon.  With my A7R-3 I got the 24-105 f4.  In doing some testing outdoors on a tripod at 24mm, 50mm, and 105mm at all f stops, I am seeing the following:  

Little to no falloff at all aperatures - Wow.

24mm - f4 very sharp across the frame, best performance at f8, quality drops off significantly at f16, terrible at f22

50mm and 105, same as above, not quite as bad at f22

My concern is that I cannot go to F16 or F22 to improve DOF.  At 24mm, where this would be most helpful, the image in really not usable.  Do others have a simliar experience, or is this just the way it is with this lens.

1 hour ago, blispix said:

Just jumped to Sony from Nikon.  With my A7R-3 I got the 24-105 f4.  In doing some testing outdoors on a tripod at 24mm, 50mm, and 105mm at all f stops, I am seeing the following:  

Little to no falloff at all aperatures - Wow.

24mm - f4 very sharp across the frame, best performance at f8, quality drops off significantly at f16, terrible at f22

50mm and 105, same as above, not quite as bad at f22

My concern is that I cannot go to F16 or F22 to improve DOF.  At 24mm, where this would be most helpful, the image in really not usable.  Do others have a simliar experience, or is this just the way it is with this lens.

It is really hard to find any lens that is superb at f22, and certainly a zoom would expected to be less than stellar.

Edited by tinplater
add info

I own several GM lenses and tried the 24 105 which I bought recently for my daughter. I compared it at 24, 35, 55 and 100 focal lengths with my gear.

In a nutshell, the 24 105 is excellent for what it is and you need to crop beyond 100% to see it is a little behind the 16-35 GM at 24 and 35, the 55 1.8 at 55 or the 100-400 GM at 100. You can see a difference, more specifically in corners, but in most cases it should not be an issue. 

I must also say that in some cases like when I was in the desert in Saudia Arabia with a windy weather, avoiding to change your lens would have been very welcome !

For my own main use at F8-F11 for landscape, it could be an option provided that I would also add in my bag a prime like the Zeiss Batis 18mm.