Advice switch from Fuji

Hope you can help me.

Can someone justify the switch to Sony a7iii from my current setup? Why? I am missing pixel to crop. And i miss low light gathering because i shoot a lot of low light landscapes and foggy scenes. Prints mostly 60x40cm, 300dpi

Setup:

Fujifilm x-t2
55-200mm (mwa mwa lens)
23mm 1.4 (sharp)
16mm 1.4 (sharp)

Please some advice for a switch, and some tips to get the same lenses (focal length and minimal f-stop) Lenses above (1.4) are superb. So maybe some tips for similar lenses for Sony mount.

• 2 months later...

Hi

I made this switch exactely a year ago, from X-T2 to A7III.
Had about the same lenses as you do.
I'm quite negative about my switch so bear that in mind when you read the rest of my posts.

The X-T2 is quite good at low light. The biggest drawback is the "worm" effect which is quite clear on shadow error when pushed too much in Lightroom. In Capture One the noise from X-T3 is the same as my A7III. This negative is only present if you use Lightroom. If noise is a consern it is possible to stack images to reduce noise.

My advice for switching would be to first identify the lenses that you would like to have, and don't forget to consider the weight and cost of those lenses.
Are those lenses worth the switch? Fuji lenses are smaller and cheaper than most of their fullframe equivalent.

Fujinon 16mm F1.4 | $999 | 375g
Sony 24mm F1.4 | $1398 | 445g

Fujinon 23mm 1.4 | $899 | 300g
Sony 35mm 1.4 | $1498 | 630g

Fujifilm 55-200 | $699 | 580g
Sony 70-300 | $1148 | 850g

Cheaper compareable lenses are available but with higher apertures.

So it would be up to you if the cost and weight is worth it.
My experience is that the bodies for Sony is cheap, but the lenses are way too expensive.

Regarding the switch, several months ago I went from XT2 to A7iii. With sensor tech being up to date and modern on both you will notice the differences in the low-light higher ISO ranges, the recovery of highlights, and AF accuracy. 3 major areas that I needed to improve with wedding/event photography. The Fuji crop sensor and lens will be sharp and exposed properly at 6400 and 12800, but still have more noise than full frame sensor at similar ISO's. It's the technical advantage of a larger sensor. What got me is some times an image at that range would still be slightly underexposed and coaxing a raw file back to proper exposure would result in too much noise. You can get away with it occasionally (B&W) but the bride and groom can be more demanding. Naturally a larger medium format sensor will have an even better advantage but for reasonable weight and cost, full frame is a logical step. Yes there are LR stacking tricks but I don't have that kind of time.

There are some types of photography where the added grain/noise from low light higher ISO is acceptable and can even add to the image effects (concerts , street, B&W) and in that respect sticking with the crop is smart. Also in a studio or in very controlled settings a high quality crop sensor makes sense. Another area I needed to improve is AF accuracy and I feel the A7iii has the edge with it's Eye-AF for my type of photography. Sony lenses with similar mm size and quality are more expensive than XT, but I do see more third party products for the Sony. I got the 28-75 Tamron and its a very good lens and I'm waiting for wider and longer zooms. My next purchase however will be Sony's 85 1.8. 

Sony's in-body stabilization is nice too, works on any lens. 

This is strictly my short term opinion and by no means the end of the ongoing Crop vs FF saga.

Hope this helps

FW

Edited by fwolff