Best Lens for Yosemite & Giant Sequoia NP, A7ii

FDC

Hello, I'm wondering what the best lens or lenses I should consider for my trip to these national parks.  I'd like to get some good close shots of the Giant Sequoias and also shot of wider landscapes.  I only have the stock lens it came with a 28-70 mm Sony lens right now.  I'd like to keep it under $1,000 but if there is a lens that I should bring that's more i'll just rent it for the trip so sky's the limit there.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Frank

On 11/12/2018 at 7:11 PM, FDC said:

I'd like to get some good close shots of the Giant Sequoias

Make a little sketch of this situation and you'll find the answer by yourself.

SCNR

P.S.: to make this sketch true to scale, remember that a giant sequoia can attain up to 95m in height and up to 8m in width.

Edited by Chrissie
true to scale hint

This 36-second long-exposure photo of Lower Yosemite Falls was taken at 24mm f4.  So what you have may work pretty well.  I own two lenses that would be an upgrade from your current lens: Zeiss Batis 24mm f2 and Sony 16-35 f2.8 G Master.  However, both these choices are above your price point.  When I bought the Batis, the 16-35 G Master was not released yet.  Now I'm finding the G Master is my go to choice most times in the landscape scenario.  The G Master is a more versatile lens but heavy.  So if you are backpacking or concerned about the weight, go with the Batis.  The color rendition of Zeiss lenses is awesome.  Also, if you travel internationally and want to carry-on your photo gear, you need to keep the bag below 7 Kg.  Good luck and enjoy Yosemite.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hi Frank,

I did a road trip through Yosemite and Giant Sequoia N.P. earlier this year. At the time I hadn't purchased my Sony kit yet, I used an 18-85mm lens for those parks. Your kit 28-70mm lens should be fine for Yosemite, Giant Sequoia N.P. is a different matter in my opinion. The immensity of those trees are hard to describe to someone who has never seen them before, I also find it's hard to capture the perspective on camera. I won't recommend a specific lens to you but I would bring an ultra wide lens, 16-18mm on the wide end is what I'd recommend. Think of this like you are going into the city to photograph the architecture of skyscrapers, that is your challenge.

I own two lenses that would be of interest to you but both would have to be rentals as they are above 1K

One is my really new to me 24mm 1.4 Sony.  I have used it for a couple of days and it is amazing, I think the sharpest lens I have ever used.  It should be spectacular for landscapes and interiors, low light.

Second is the 12-24 F4 zoom.  But between the two, I would favor the 24mm.  However it may not yet be available for rental as it is just recently released.

Thanks for the riddle Chrissie.

Steve, that is a gorgeous shot and now i'm thinking i'll need to bring a small light weight tri-pod also.  What time of day was that?  I see starts out so close to sunset?

Rogue, love the comparison to sky scrapers so I can already start to practice if I take day trip to NYC or Phillie!

Tinplater, thanks for sharing.

So i'll need an ultra wide prime lens 16-18 mm, does Sigma make a good lens?  Looks like I can pick one up from Sigma below $400.

For the widest Voigtlander 10mm f/5.6 (chipped also). For all around travel only two lenses really needed on a Mark 2 or 3 camera. SEL1224G f/4 (not IS) great for Astro Milky Way to indoor or outdoor architecture or portraits (85mm to 105 with great bokeh) and the SEL24240 f/4 (IS)  great for a moon over something (a big building), a quarter frame of moon at 240mm bigger if going to APS-C mode. A backup 12mm lens that is small the SEL1018 f/4 (a APS-C Lens) (IS) (also screw on filters can be used) mark lens just below 13mm and remove light shield to use at 18mm in Full Frame mode switch to APS-C for 15mm to 27mm. A great very small lens for indoor or landscape or street shooting, I keep this lens near and used a lot before the SEL1224G for Milky Way (no coma) shooting sunsets/sunrises, landscapes and architecture. That is the four lenses I take everywhere anytime. And yes I have a bag full of other lenses from old Canon film and Canon digital and new up to date Sony E mount. A little beyond the Sigma 150-600mm ($1k) add 1.4x and 2x (get full frame Moon in APS-C mode) but very clear and sharp for birding or wildlife or paparazzi  (if so inclined), secret use with a heavy duty binocular harness to carry at the ready and will fit in a Photographers vest inside pocket if not in use.

Sharpness/clearness all in the f/# and Post Processing even at f/4 are outstanding.

My shot above of Lower Yosemite was taken about 11PM.  This shot is only possible during a full moon + or minus one day in April, May and sometimes June.  It depends on snow melt in the high Sierras.  It is called a Moonbow.  When you take a look at the waterfall, you can’t see the colors in the moonbow...just a smudge.  It is still my most special shot ever. 

As Steve mentioned, the Sony FE 13-35 f2.8 GM Lens is (by all accounts) an excellent lens, and should give you the range you will likely need in these two parks. This would be a candidate for "rental", as the price is in excess of $2K.

I'm "lusting" for this lens, but so far have resisted. I mostly use Zeiss 25mm but you can also get by with 35mm, 55mm, or even 85mm if you are willing to stitch multiple shots together. Example can be seen at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/johnrsims43/albums/72157655169480695

I recommend Flickr as a good resource to search for photos at your intended destination, and see what others are using in those locations.

John

Edited by johnrsims43
spelling error

Cool, thanks John! That’s a definite rental. 

I will check out Flickr, I’d love to see some photos of various wide angles on the same camera I have. I’d think that they may function a little different on different cameras. 

Happy thanksgiving!