Sign in to follow this  
mbuto

LA-EA4 + something = fast autofocus zoom

Advertisement (gone after registration)

All,

I've tried the Sony 80-200 FE on my a6000, but I need something longer for airshow/aviation photography (hence the fast autofocus). Also the price tag for that lens is a bit steep for what you get. I'm wondering if the solution is an LA-EA4 adapter and some other 3rd party lens. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I have had good luck with the Tamron 70-300 with the LA-EA4. Seems to work pretty well with the A6000. I just bought the Sony 70-400 and it works great on the A7II with the adapter but it drained my wallet.. 

The LA-EA4 is good enough, but i don't think anything will beat native lenses when it comes to focus speed. In addition to that, the adapter only has 15 focus points, and tracking might not work well (i haven't tested it much). Are you sure you need autofocus, though? The subject distance is proably pretty close to infinity most of the time, and if you're shooting in daylight you can probably stop the lens down and use the hyperfocal distance (or zone focusing) so that you can pretty much ignore the focus and shoot as much as you'd like..

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've got a pair of Tokina 400mm's that have worked well. One is MD mount manual focus, the other A mount auto focus. Both are optically ok, but not super, and the price is right. Here's a link to reviews http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/Tokina-400mm-F5.6-SD-AT-X-400-AF_lens196.html It rates better than the equivalent Sigmas. The MF lens looks very similar, but lacks autofocus and autoaperture controls. The copies I have are pretty sharp, good color and the build is all metal solid.

With the AF and LA-EA4 focus is quick. I also use it with a 1.4 teleconverter for net 560mm. The MF uses a cheap adapter and works well with peaking and magnification as long as the focus point doesn't change dramatically and quickly. I also use that with an old Vivitar macro focusing 2x teleconverter for 800mm that will also do bugs and flowers.

The LA-EA4 is good enough, but i don't think anything will beat native lenses when it comes to focus speed. In addition to that, the adapter only has 15 focus points, and tracking might not work well (i haven't tested it much). Are you sure you need autofocus, though? The subject distance is proably pretty close to infinity most of the time, and if you're shooting in daylight you can probably stop the lens down and use the hyperfocal distance (or zone focusing) so that you can pretty much ignore the focus and shoot as much as you'd like..

Sounds hyper-reasonable. Any suggestions for native, greater than 200mm, and not crazy expensive?

Sounds hyper-reasonable. Any suggestions for native, greater than 200mm, and not crazy expensive?

I have a 500mm minolta md reflex lens, but i can't really recommend it. Also used a Sigma 100-500mm (for Canon), that was pretty fun, you could even get it for Sony A and use it on the LA-EA4.