Sony 90mm Macro, or Zeiss 85 Batis, which will you be more likely to get?

I (like many folks here probably) have been waiting for a good native option at 85/90mm.  I've also been wanting some longer distance for macro work.  (currently use a Nikkor 60mm)  For a while, I can't justify having both of these in the stable, especially knowing that 2 more Loxias are on the way.  So, that leaves me with a tough decision.  Which lens in this range?  I *think* I'm leaning towards the Batis, mainly due to size.  That 90mm macro looks like a beast.  That would be fine for my Macro work, but for walking around (85mm is a favorite of mine), it seems like too much.  I think that I would be happy with the IQ of either, as everything I have seen from both looks great.

What are other folks thinking about these?

So I had been suffering with this exact decision. In the end it comes to the desire to have a native macro lens for the FE mount and I do like the 90mm length for that. I have a 90mm macro Tamron A-Mount that I have been using and have used on the A7II with the adapter but I just think the new Sony lens are made for the higher resolutions and would be less hassle than the Tamron with adapter. To me the Zeiss is a portrait lens and I really don’t do that many (other than the Granddaughter) and as I have before I can always use the 90mm Macro for that. I also have the Rokinon 85mm 1.4 so for me I finally made my decision and I just put the 90mm Sony Macro on pre-order yesterday.  :)

I'm torn, they're very similar in quality. I plan to use this lens for wedding photography, so maybe the 90 macro is a better choice since I can switch between portrait and macro (for little details like rings, fingers, smile, etc.), but it's huge and doesn't as fast as the Batis. If the extension ring is compatible with Batis, then I will go with the Batis, but I'm not sure. It's better to wait for hand on reviews.

This is an abomination of a photographers conundrum, you could easily loose sleep trying to decide between these two lenses, its the stuff of nightmares.

To make it all worse, they're both not available here yet either.

I want a dedicated macro badly, and it is cheaper, but 85 1.8?

Deeply confused & sweating profusely, i think il go have a nice lay down, take it easy for a few days, all a bit much.

I've already ordered the 90mm "macro"(allegedly shipping first week in july batis 85mm with no firm shipping date maybe mid to late august??) I want the dedicated macro to pair with an A7r/ A7rii.I doubt that I will do any true macros with the lens but I will do numerous flower and nature "close-ups". Currently I am using a canon 100mm is macro, and a zeiss 135mm apo for my spring flower pics. I may buy the Batis later after it ships and I see one. Attached pic bearded daffodil zeiss 135apo . (unable to post pic)

This decision is making me scream. I really want the Batis. I currently have no 85/90mm and use a Konica 57mm f1.4 below that and an Olympus 100mm f2 and Minolta 100mm F4 Macro. Logic says sell the two 100's and buy the 90mm. My heart screams Zeiss and says get the Batis with tubes for when I want to do Macro work. The Minolta is one of the sharpest lenses I own, but both of the new lenses are AF.

I ordered both Batis lenses but if they weren't announced then I'd buy the 90 Macro with no reservations. FWIW I talked to dealer last Saturday and they wanted to confirm that I still wanted the Batis lenses as they got confirmation on their allocations last week (6 of each lens.) So I'm guessing that shipping of Batis lenses is nearly imminent.

It would not be far from the truth to say I'm losing sleep over this decision. I'm changing my tune every day. I think I'll wait for more samples and reviews of each lens.

The Batis is faster, smaller and will offer that sublime zeiss-quality pop and bokeh we all crave. But it's more expensive and has a min-focus of 800mm, so even with 25mm of extension tubes, you're only getting 0.43X magnification. I also can't shake the feeling that it's just the 55mm, except taking a step forward and with shallower DoF and OSS. If it were a 100mm or 135mm f1.8 or f2, I'd be sold.

On the other hand, the macro offers the ability to do photography the Batis simply can't. It also looks far better for manual focus as it does away with focus-by-wire. But it's both larger, heavier and a stop slower.

The worst part is knowing that, no matter what decision I make, it won't quell my thirst for the other. Damn this expensive hobby!

There is quite an easy method to know which lens to get; just ask yourself the questions: 1) do I shoot more portraits than macro 2) are your best/majority of portraits shot with an aperture larger than f2.8? If 1 is no, get the macro; if 1 is yes and 2 is no, get the macro; if 1 is yes and 2 is yes, get the Batis; if 1 is no and 2 is yes, you already have a portrait lens and should get the macro ;).

Ok, it may be a bit simplistic, but try to rationalize your choice before purchase based on these kind of observations.

If you are new to one of these genres, just explore your interests and try buying cheap MF macro or portrait lenses and based on that experience, you can get the lens which suits you best.

Seeky is on track, it clearly depends on your needs. I shoot underwater and have the 90 macro on order. Most of my work is in the 1:4 to 4:1 range so while the 85 appears to be outstanding it would be of little use to me. Just as extension tubes are of little use underwater while wet closeup lenses are outstanding. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

This is a horrible situation to place people in: the decision between the Sony 90mm/2.8 G Macro and the Zeiss Batis 85mm/1.8. 

Obviously, I want (practically need) the Zeiss Batis for when I'm shooting portraits; it's guaranteed to be amazing.

Alas, I want the Sony G Macro for shooting macro! How to choose?! 

Ah... I have a solution: Sony needs to make a 135mm/2.8 G Macro. Then, I'll buy the Batis 85 AND the Sony 135!

Right?

...anyone have a couple grand I can borrow at a low interest rate? 

I'm still thinking about these two lenses and change my opinion every day as well.

Just don't forget Sony is gonna announce 8 more lenses (hopefully soon), and one of it may be a 135/2 or so. So... I think I'm gonna wait a little longer, even though it's hard to resist.

Btw, this just reminds me of the rumor about a cancelled FE 85/1.2 - I wonder if Sony is still working on one (maybe an f1.4) or if they gave that to Zeiss which became the Batis.

In the end it all depends of your own individual use and needs, doesn't it?  Ask yourself, what are your needs? And the answer should be easier...

I have ordered both lenses, because of various needs. Batis for portraiture ( for me a must! ) and the Sony lens for macro works.  

As @Mathias here, I'm also hoping and waiting for a 135mm f1.8 or f2!

Actually I just got info today by Sony, that the first amount of the FE 90mm lenses are arriving today or tomorrow to their main european stock/warehouse. Thanks to the quick notice in march on the SAR site (Thanks!!!), am I lucky to get this lens as one of the first in my country one of these next days.

As I have heard, the Batis will follow quickly after. As far as I know it will come in the end of july, I'm no. 2 on that list in my country to get it ( again thanks to SAR..!), so in app. a month from now, I will probably be able to use them both... (and almost as a child, I'm enormously looking forward to shoot with them on the new A7RII, when it arrives as well.. ;) ).

I hope you will share some images!

The Macro is today available in Switzerland, Batis end of July. But since I will invest in the A7RII, I'm okay with waiting a bit longer for the next lens. I'm sure the 55 in crop mode would still give great results on the new sensor.

I carry myself with the question of which lens is the best choice for me. Therefore, I have created the following (personally embossed) points list:

Vergleich 85/90 mm Objektive       Sony FE 90mm                                      F2.8 Macro G Punkte Zeiss 85mm                F1.8 Batis Punkte       Brennweiten (FF/APS-C) 90/135 mm 2 85/127,5 mm 1 Lichtstärke F2.8 1 F1.8 3 Farbe Schwarz 1 Schwarz 1 Format Vollformat 1 Vollformat 1 Vergrößerung 1x 3 0.1265x 1 Filter 62 mm 2 67 mm 1 AF-Antrieb DD-SSM 1,5 SSM 1 Fokus-Design Intern 1 Intern 1 OSS Ja 1 Ja 1 Abdichtung Ja 1 Ja 1 Länge 130,5 mm 1 92 mm 2 Gewicht 602 g 1 475 g 2 Fokusbegrenzung Ja 2 Nein 0 Fokushaltetaste Ja 1 Nein 0 Fokusschiebering Ja 1 Nein 0 OLED-Display Nein 0 Ja 1 Preis 1.149,00 € 1,5 1.199,00 € 1 Gesamtpunkte   19   18

I will order my 90 Macro. Greetings to the community .

I'm still thinking about these two lenses and change my opinion every day as well.

Just don't forget Sony is gonna announce 8 more lenses (hopefully soon), and one of it may be a 135/2 or so. So... I think I'm gonna wait a little longer, even though it's hard to resist.

Btw, this just reminds me of the rumor about a cancelled FE 85/1.2 - I wonder if Sony is still working on one (maybe an f1.4) or if they gave that to Zeiss which became the Batis.

Zeiss stated that they wanted an f/1.4 but the product would be so large that they opted for an f/1.8 design instead. I must agree that the f/1.8 looks more appropriate on the camera, as the 90mmf/2.8 Sony G lens looks giant in comparison. If the Batis lens was a 1.4, perhaps it would be as large as the 90mm Macro? Even larger?

Option for me was simple, Batis, as I do mostly portrait work. When using the 55/1.8 I have to move in so close to my clients that they become uncomfortable for headshots... The only macro work I do involves a few rings or fine details here and there, but those aren't moving. If you do any kind of insect work I'd choose the 90mm Sony G. 

For macro work I already have the Sony 100mm f2.8 macro (via LAEA-4 adapter). I also am surprised by the quality of shots produced by the SEL30mm f3.5 macro on my A6000. The Batis 85mm f1.8 represents the future so it's on my "must have" list. Anyone wanna buy my Minolta 85mm f1.4?!!