Sony A9 is coming in February. Please post some of your "Imaginary" designs here.

SAR_admin

RF body is impossible without RF sensor.

Pls. read my post once again ...

I said "RF-style Body" that means the finder is on the left side, like NEX 6/7 and most of the Fuji X cameras.

And btw... RF has nothing to do with a Sensor - There is no RF Sensor in the world ...

Am I missing something or isn't AF the digital equivalent of RF? Quite a few cameras now have af cells on the main sensor!

And come to think of it, wouldn't the classic rangefinder have worked just as well with the viewfinder on the right, only convention put it on the left and the wind on knob/lever on the right?

The picture of your imaginary Sony A9 looks really intriguing! I would love a design like this! If it would have 5-axis-in body image stabilization, it would be a big step further towards my “ideal camera”.

But by far the biggest draw-back of the A7r, A7 and supposedly also the A7s is the “optical thickness” (geometrical thickness times index of refraction) of the “cover glass” (CG = lenslet-array to image the exit-aperture of the lenses to the photosensitive region of the pixel + IR-filter + Bayer-filter). This introduces Astigmatism, Spherical Aberration and Coma even when a “perfect lens” (zero aberrations, i.e. diffraction limited performance at all field positions, f-numbers, wavelengths and object distances) would be used. Practically, the induced Astigmatism is the largest effect and this also depends on the incidence angle of the rays. The “charm” of using legacy lenses originally designed for film on a digital body is to experience their “character”, stemming from the balance of aberrations the designer had chosen when creating the lens. But due to the overwhelming influence of the extra aberrations introduced by the CG, this original balance is altered so strongly, that nothing is left to admire! It is important to know, that wave-front aberrations do add like vectors (magnitude and phase), but that the final effect is on the point-spread function, and that is the resulting magnitude squared. Due to this non-linearity, the addition of the cover-glass makes a complete change of the character of the lens, practically the image quality changes for the worse (at least for normal and wide-angle lenses).

I instantly hope, that the people at Sony being responsible for the sensor design worked close together with the optics designers, and being a leading company for sensors, have found a way to minimize the thickness of the CG this time! It is ashamed that Sony A7, A7r and A7s have the thickest cover glass, even when they dropped the low-pass filter! I think, using an IR-filter in front of the lens (as Leica did on their M8 but were not clever enough to sell this oversight as a main advantage over all competitors), further increasing the pixel count, increasing the percentage of the sensitive area on the pixel (fill factor), combining the dust-protection glass and the lenslet-array all could help to mitigate this problem.

Another problem is the shutter-sound of A7 and A7R; let’s hope that the A9 will have a silent, electronic shutter!

Finally, in my opinion it is very important to be able to shift the focus area in the viewfinder and to access a pre-defined magnification easily. Why not making the box for selecting the area a “magnification glass”, i.e. only inside that box we have the chosen magnification and at the same time could compose the image?! The somewhat annoying and time consuming “switch” between two different magnifications (e.g. 7x and 1x) would be obsolete! This could even be accomplished by a firmware-update with the current A7 – series.

The question, for me, is whether the A9 will be an "improved A7R", meaning a camera where the issues of the A7R with shutter noise and vibration, quirky UI, slow start time, etc.. are fixed, or whether it is a new camera, meaning a new sensor. I know many here hope the former, but I favour the latter. Knock'em dead, Sony!

IBIS of course,

dual SD slots,

GPS,

weatherproofing,

full-frame focus points with size selection,

AF with movie manual modes

36+MP, but with great low-light, high ISO

quiet shutter

6+ FPS

And, I know it's not popular, but I would like it to use the NP-FM500 battery because of higher capacity (and because I own a ton of them)

Realistically, with a camera like this, I can't see the point of the SLT design any longer.  The A7ii is a killer camera, but the A9 could be the A-mount killer camera. 

First post here, here we go for my A9 top of the line model :

• 45/50Mpx (and hopefully a 25Mpx A9S based on the 50mpx sensor)
  • IBIS
  • uncompressed RAW
  • Great AF / group area fast tracking AF
  • 7 FPS
  • 4k video / 1080p @ 60fps / 720p @ 120fps
  • 4.2.2 HDMI output
  • External mic input
  • Dual SD slot or SD + CF
  • Silent shutter
  • Touch screen (although I don't care about that)
  • Wifi / NFC
  • Weather sealed

Price point : 3300$

The picture of your imaginary Sony A9 looks really intriguing! I would love a design like this! If it would have 5-axis-in body image stabilization, it would be a big step further towards my “ideal camera”.

But by far the biggest draw-back of the A7r, A7 and supposedly also the A7s is the “optical thickness” (geometrical thickness times index of refraction) of the “cover glass” (CG = lenslet-array to image the exit-aperture of the lenses to the photosensitive region of the pixel + IR-filter + Bayer-filter).......

These are the two major concerns about the A7r:

1) The CG, far too thick, superb lenses will not work.

The short flange-to-sensor distance of the E-Mount is useless if the CG remains thick. I'm unsure whether Sony will manage this problem.

2) In-body stabilization is missing,

This feature will come, pretty sure.

The shutter noise, well may be nice to be reduced as well as the shutter-vibration. But I could live with it.

Martin

Sorry, but that's impossible - due to flange distance.

We will see these kind of systems with E-Mount only.

And to be honest ... Do you really belive in A-Mount and new technology? :o

I would also love to have it in a-mount! New ibis as in a7 II and AF like in a77 II. Resolution like a7r or better and 4K and of course wastly better continuous shooting than any of the FF E-mount cameras. BTW. I really believe in a-mount!

Greetings from David

I posted this idea elsewhere too. Of course it is nothing more than a day dream. But I am imagining an RF style mirrorless body in which the lens mount portion can be extended or retracted. Sort of like the this...

The extended position would accommodate the flange distance of the A-mount

dsc09924.jpg

When the lens is retracted it would match the flange distance of the E-mount, like this...

dsc09925.jpg

The basic mount on the camera would be A-mount because it is the bigger of the two. When using E-mount lenses, in addition to retracting the mount area, the user would need to attach a small adapter ring that looks something like the "tough E-mount" except the back side is designed to attach to an A-mount platform and electric contacts are included on both sides.

51rQTP95IUL._SL1000_.jpg

The AF system will be hybrid CDAF and OSPDAF, similar in performance to the A77II and/or A6000

In-body stabilization

Maybe even a hybrid view finder like the Fuji... although I would be fine with just EVF.

Fully articulating screen

Of course, 35mm sensor although I don't really care about the resolution numbers. (Maybe even have an S and R version)

I won't suggest other specs, especially relating to video since I don't even understand what most of them mean and I don't do much video but let's just say, "video specs to please even the most discriminating user!" :)

I hope they're going to announce it before the A7 II will become available in January in the EU, so that I can swiftly decide to jump ship ASAP or wait it out some more.

If the A9 isn't going to be essentially the A7R II, they better have something special in store, because I don't see much they can tack on the A7 II that aren't just comfort options life doesn't dependent on (things like second SD slot, GPS and some such).

No one mentioned the sensor z-shift AF, which would make the camera really usable with all lenses. Very simple adapters would be required only to control the aperture where applicable. No specific algorithms any more, no reverse engineering (except the aperture control, while the AF option is much more important in real life).

I would also love to have it in a-mount! New ibis as in a7 II and AF like in a77 II. Resolution like a7r or better and 4K and of course wastly better continuous shooting than any of the FF E-mount cameras. BTW. I really believe in a-mount!

Greetings from David

Don't all A mount users lol

Si