Whats wrong with the a6000?

Hi,

I’m new in the forum, but am reading this blog for years now…

I just wanted to reflect what I’ve noticed.
I’ve been traveling over the past few weeks, been to Prague, Krumlov, Munich and also in my hometown - Vienna - I have been watching people and their camera gear. As an enthusiast you might pay more attention to this, but what I noticed was, among so many people from so many different countries, the rarest camera model out there in the Sony family is the a6000!

Most people run around with Nex-5N/T and 5000/5100, also a lot of A7. Canon also well present with 650/750d and 60d. Once in a while you see Nikon. And even more rare Fuji and as far as i remember I didn’t see any Pentax.

Canon is still clearly dominating the market. But Sony is keeping up on this…

My question is, is the a600 really that bad that people don’t buy, is it to expensive or whats the deal here? I was thinking of getting an a6000 had a Nex-5N before but was lacking the EVF but the a6000 not being present keeps me thinking.

I've been using the RX100M2 for over a year now and I'm quite happy with it but I think the time has come to use my old legacy lenses again...

What are your 2 cents on this…?

Cheers,

Mark

Hi MarkyMark,

I suspect you will see many more a6000 in your upcoming travels.    IMO, the a6000 offers unbeatable performance and compactness for the price. Sony is selling a big pile of them (at least here in the US)  I think that this will be a landmark camera in that it will be the mirrorless camera model that "goes mainstream" and alerts the masses that there is a viable alternative to DSLRs.  

Too expensive?  I felt that it was a lot of camera for the money at launch...and now it is just ridiculous.  A friend just picked up an a6000 with the 18-55 and the 55-210 for $650!  Holy discounts, Batman!  Sony cannot be making a whole lot of money on these deals.

I have the a6000's older brother the NEX-6.  I find the build quality to be better on the NEX6, and i would miss not having a level on the a6000...but for a 50% bump in resolution,a better menu system, and vastly improved AF -- I could live with that.

I really enjoy using legacy glass on my NEX-6...for me it is a satisfying experience to work the controls of a manual lens.  The focus peaking and focus assist features work well. 

`

What I just can't understand is why the A3000, or

it's new clone the 3100 or 3500, is not a runaway

success. The battery and the lens are basically all

you're paying for ... the camera almost free !

Show me another APS-C EVF ILC anywhere near

$350, sometimes less when on-sale.

Is it a world beater machine ? Noooo ! Is it a very

capable camera selling [when it sells at all] for just

peanuts ? YES ! And ... it's the only Sony ILC with

its eyepiece at the center, rather than the corner.

Corner eyepieces, much as some of us love them,

are not a marketing asset [note the A7 series and

the evolution of the Fuji bodies].

`

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing wrong with the a6000, I have one and allso have a7m2 with 35,55 ziess primes and the 70-200g lens and use them on the a6000 and it is a brilliant camera.

I have just purchased the new 16-70 aps-c zoom made for the A6000 and a brilliant combo for a lightweight walkabout camera. this lens with the A6000 produces some

beautiful and sharp pictures. this lens is not cheap and is selling here in the uk for around £550-£750, so for around £550 for camera with a kit lens and this lens I am well pleased

and for £1100, or about 1200 dollers in the usa. I am from nottingham England(robin hood country) and new on this forum

Hi MarkyMark,

I suspect you will see many more a6000 in your upcoming travels.    IMO, the a6000 offers unbeatable performance and compactness for the price. Sony is selling a big pile of them (at least here in the US)  I think that this will be a landmark camera in that it will be the mirrorless camera model that "goes mainstream" and alerts the masses that there is a viable alternative to DSLRs.  

Too expensive?  I felt that it was a lot of camera for the money at launch...and now it is just ridiculous.  A friend just picked up an a6000 with the 18-55 and the 55-210 for $650!  Holy discounts, Batman!  Sony cannot be making a whole lot of money on these deals.

I have the a6000's older brother the NEX-6.  I find the build quality to be better on the NEX6, and i would miss not having a level on the a6000...but for a 50% bump in resolution,a better menu system, and vastly improved AF -- I could live with that.

I really enjoy using legacy glass on my NEX-6...for me it is a satisfying experience to work the controls of a manual lens.  The focus peaking and focus assist features work well. 

The a6000 is far from "rare". I live in Melbourne in Australia and I've noticed plenty of tourist using the a6000 with the kit 16-50, even more so that the typical DLSR. At least in Melbourne the least common would be those olympus cameras. 

As for adapting your legacy lenses, I suggest saving up and getting one of the A7s, as pretty much all legacy lenses where designed for 35mm film. You'll be getting much more if you use a full frame camera. 

• 4 weeks later...

I actually have seen reviews of the a6000 in which the reviewer complains about a lot of the features or lack there of.

Some reviews even concentrating on how poor the image is with the kit lens.

I always i wonder and chuckle a bit when i see people expecting a $600 dollar camera to perform like a $2000 camera.

Seriously Mark, if you get the a6000 you will just be blown away at how much better the image quality is over the 5n.

It's not a canon 5DS or a Nikon D810 or a A7 or A7R,, but it wasn't meant to be. For $600 dollars,, its an amazing camera.

+1 to what OldNoob says. I had a 5n for a couple of years and recently switched to the a6000. The a6000 is a phenomenal camera, that I feel is superior to the 5n in every meaningful way.

I think the reason that you see so many older models when traveling, is that it is often the *only* time that many folks use their cameras. As a result, that $500 vacation purchase that they made years ago, is still pretty much new and has seen little use. It takes a little time and a generation or two for the roll-over to occur.

I got into these cameras due to deep discounts on the 5n after Sony discontinued the model. I think the current deep discourse on the a6000 will bring a new crop of owners.

It is hard to imagine a better camera out there in the $600 range for a lightweight and compact travel camera.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk