Sony RX1 - Maintaining its Relevance

Quite enjoyed reading your page, creatively written and thoughtfully composed.

Just noticed an rx1r on a second hand website yesterday for $1300au neg and am very tempted to buy it, it looks immaculate, then happened across this post and link. hmmm?

Coincidental.

I havent used one, however, its a right royal beaut looking bit of kit.

Frustrated sony left out a built in vf though. A very cunning marketing strategy even Baldrick would be proud of.

Speculated the guy selling it has got a wiff of the new model what say?

$1300 is less than half price here [retailed au for $3300] and it looked in great nick from the advert photos.

In fact i noticed many sony cameras for sale all of a suddenly on the second hand right now lol.

Nice post and thanks for the read.   ;)

Quite enjoyed reading your page, creatively written and thoughtfully composed.

Just noticed an rx1r on a second hand website yesterday for $1300au neg and am very tempted to buy it, it looks immaculate, then happened across this post and link. hmmm?

Funny how that happens. Guess you must buy! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, it is very relevant today. I would buy one if they were a bit cheaper though. It is the ideal camera to always have with you, but it is not as versatile as the A7 series. Sadly, I can't have both, and settled for the A7 and 35mm f2.8.

The other downsides are mentioned in your post, such as slow AF and limited UI. Besides that, I think it still is the best choice in it's area, although Leica seemed to have done a wonderful job with the Q (although far more expensive).

If Sony could make an RX2 with built in EVF and tilting LCD, and faster AF, they have a winner.

• 1 month later...

It's still relevant to me 

Just ordered an RX1r today :-)

Regardless of what happens in the future. I'm of the firm belief that the RX1 (and r) are absolutely future classics. I don't mind that I bought at the end.

Just means I have one of the last brand new versions available.

I've always liked the shiny shiny. I'm breathlessly waiting on the Fuji X-Pro2 for example.

But on this one singular rare occasion, I feel totally comfortable to have bought what may well become a bit of a legend.

j.