A7III: Anyone from Europe ordering from Amazon.com?

Hi

As you may know, Sony is again trying to rip off European customers with there MSRP for the A7III (almost 20% more expensive compared to the US price). 

Therefore, I am considering to order from Amazon.com instead of buying local. Anyone else in the same boat?  ;)

Do some of you (living in Europe) have experience with Amazon.com when it comes to warranty? How easy is it to return an item in case of a defect?

Cheers

Guest Jaf-Photo

If your country's customs office does it job, they'll bill you for local sales tax. It may be slightly lower than 20% but all in all it's a zero sum game to order from outside Europe.

Difference is the tax + duties you have to pay.

In Europe the VAT/BTW is inclusive, so that could be the 20% difference.

Normally any local sales taxes are included in Amazon ,com prices.

The only variable is the shipping costs. It is often cheaper to buy from the USA than europe site sites.

The interesting question however is as asked by the OP . What is the warranty situation?

Guest Jaf-Photo

The amazon customs deposit is for eligible countries and the effect on your wallet is the same. For me, it would be more expensive to order A7III from amazon.com than to buy it over the counter in the store around the block.

Difference is the tax + duties you have to pay.

In Europe the VAT/BTW is inclusive, so that could be the 20% difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let me break this down for you: 2000$ = ~1630 Euro. Add to that 20% tax, then you are at 1960€ (that would be the fair asking price). Instead, we pay 2300€ here in Europe, that is 17% more than it should be.

If your country's customs office does it job, they'll bill you for local sales tax. It may be slightly lower than 20% but all in all it's a zero sum game to order from outside Europe.

I can place an order at amazon for 2000€, that includes shipping, customs and all taxes. So it's definitely not a zero sum game ;-)

Update:

I've just contacted Amazon about the warranty. They say the warranty is provided by the manufacturer only, not by amazon. Sony US on the other hand states that they do not provide warranty for exported products. Hence, you are basically buying a product without any guarantee.

Amazon however accepts returns within 30 days. Customer has to pay for the return shipping cost and takes full risk for loss of the package.

Let me break this down for you: 2000$ = ~1630 Euro. Add to that 20% tax, then you are at 1960€ (that would be the fair asking price). Instead, we pay 2300€ here in Europe, that is 17% more than it should be.

I think you are missing the import duty that Sony has to pay to bring the cameras into the EU.

I think you are missing the import duty that Sony has to pay to bring the cameras into the EU.

Never heard that there is an import duty this high (I think you confuse digital cameras with video recorders). And how do Canon, Nikon and Fuji manage to offer their cameras in Europe at the same price as in the US??

[edit] Just found another thread about the Sony pricing issue: Link

I think anything that can record over 30 minutes is considered a Video Recorder in EU and subject to 12-14% import duty. I think that ruling was due to expire in 2018/2019, there's a lot of conflicting news about it. I suggest checking the video limits on comparable cameras and then check their prices.

Guest Jaf-Photo

In any case the issue is this. You may or you may not save a few euros, depending on your local VAT rate and camera pricing. But you will definitely lose the warranty.

The reason electronics often have a higher msrp in Europe is because it's more expensive to run a business and employ people here. That is because we have better salaries, pensions and healthcare to name a few things.

So, the margin is not for Sony, it's for the traders.

You get what you pay for. You don't want to contribute your share to the rest of social security that still distinguishes Europe from the US - well then you don't deserve the benefits of a regular guarantee either.

I boycott Amazon for several years now already, the above being only one reason for it.

I never would buy it in the US for saving a few bucks.

It`s not only the warranty. - What happens if the camera is damaged with the shipping. You will have a lot of fun!

Buy it in a real store like Calumet and after three days you are happy. And - if you have a problem take the phone and talk to one of those helpful nice competent guys - all problems will be solved.

For Example: I took my A7RIII from Calumet, the Sony battery grip came from E-Infinity (nearly three weeks for shipping from Hongkong) but saving 50€. That`s OK!!!