Hello friends!

I am in the market for a new camera and I have decided to go with Sony.
I was wondering how things were looking in 2018 in regards to these Sony cameras. I have the option to either buy:

Sony A6300 for 800 euro from a dealer (0 shutter actuations but no receipt or warranty)

Sony a6500 for 1366 euro brand new from Amazon

I've seen the overheat tests between the two and unfortunately most of the time the a6300 turns off and the a6500 keeps going until it runs out of battery or at least reaches the 30 minute mark for those who have the 30 min limit. I understand they moved the thermal limit with firmware but that doesn't change the fact that it heats to the point where the camera may die from overheating.

The a6500 has increased buffer depth and marginally better image quality, they boast better performance at higher ISO. It has touch focus which may come in handy, it has a redesigned menu layout, it has IBIS and while it isn't perfect it's not bad to have for handheld shots. Some features for quick and slow mo video and 35 seconds of continuous shooting at 11 fps.

The a6300 is a bit of a gamble but the price difference is significant so I'm kinda stuck. I need to get out of my own head and need to hear some outter perspective.

Any tips would be much appreciated. Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...

"I've seen the overheat tests between the two and unfortunately most of the time the a6300 turns off and the a6500 keeps going until it runs out of battery or at least reaches the 30 minute mark for those who have the 30 min limit. I understand they moved the thermal limit with firmware but that doesn't change the fact that it heats to the point where the camera may die from overheating."

With overheating problems affecting both the A6300 and the A6500, I think I will stay with the A6000.  I have 2 of them and have had no problems with them whatsoever.  (Well, the battery does discharge pretty fast but that's about all there is to criticize with the A6000).   It really does an excellent job at a fantastic price and turns out excellent images.  Do you really need some of the "gee-whiz" improvements the more expensive Sony models offer?

Hello friends!

I am in the market for a new camera and I have decided to go with Sony.

I was wondering how things were looking in 2018 in regards to these Sony cameras. I have the option to either buy:

Sony A6300 for 800 euro from a dealer (0 shutter actuations but no receipt or warranty)

Sony a6500 for 1366 euro brand new from Amazon

I've seen the overheat tests between the two and unfortunately most of the time the a6300 turns off and the a6500 keeps going until it runs out of battery or at least reaches the 30 minute mark for those who have the 30 min limit. I understand they moved the thermal limit with firmware but that doesn't change the fact that it heats to the point where the camera may die from overheating.

The a6500 has increased buffer depth and marginally better image quality, they boast better performance at higher ISO. It has touch focus which may come in handy, it has a redesigned menu layout, it has IBIS and while it isn't perfect it's not bad to have for handheld shots. Some features for quick and slow mo video and 35 seconds of continuous shooting at 11 fps.

The a6300 is a bit of a gamble but the price difference is significant so I'm kinda stuck. I need to get out of my own head and need to hear some outter perspective.

Any tips would be much appreciated. Thank you.

I had both the a6300 and the a6500 exclusively for 4K video at 24fps.  With firmware 2.0 on the a6300, overheating was no longer an issue (as I removed the 30 minute recording limit).  On a warm day 30C, both cameras performed the same.  I sold my a6300, kept  the a6500 and bought the a7m3.  I would have kept the a6300 if the a7M3 hadn't come out.  I bought the a6500 for the IBIS but I ended up using Crane gimbals and so didn't need the a6500 IBIS. If I were to start today, I would buy the a6300 and use That extra 500 Euros for a nice 35mm f1.8 lens.  Once you are fully into the Sony system in a year or two, go to the a7M3.