Buy Sony A7II or wait?

Hello,

I'm new at the forum and i will be new at the sony mirrorless cameras.

I need some help.

I want to order the Sony A7II and the Sony 55mm F1.8 ZA.

But should i wait until the new alpha camera go out?

The price of A7II will drop?

Or the New alpha be a better choice and cost the same?

I already sold all my Canon equipment, canon 7D, prime 100-400mm L, sigma F1.4 etc to change to sony alpha full frame camera.

I need the camera and i'm anxious to get the Sony A7II, but knowing will came out a new alpha is affrighting my decision to buy it now!

Should i buy or wait?

Many Thanks for your comments and help,

goncalo

Thanks Tim,

But why do you think that?

Do you think the new alpha will came with great improvements at the same price as 7II or 7R?

Or the MKII will drop the price?

In all the sony websites, show up, 7, 7R and 7II a sign over the photo of the MK2, saying "NEW".

Goncalo,

I once had the 5D MkII and IS only on my 70-200. I bought my A7 last week, have you had a chance to go through all the features of each of the A7 models?

Most of my photography takes place on a tripod, so I don't need IBIS. I purchased the original of the species. You might check with your local dealer, as Sony are offering €130.00 cash back across all models (In Ireland). Enjoy the decision making!!

Kind regards,

Niall

Hy Niall,

I'm looking for the A7II because beside photos i make a lot of videos, and the IS on the body is priceless for me!

I'm looking in a place with a good price for the A7II, much less than in most sony european pages even with discount.

I gonna use the A7II for professional and personal use.

I gonna shoot and make videos of architecture and furniture design, i have the canon 24mm TS and will buy the FotodioX Pro adaptor, this lens is not AF so is not a issue and i will shoot with tripod in this cases.

For daily and personal  use i will buy first the Sony Zeiss 55mm F1.8 and maybe later i will buy the Sony Zeiss 35mm F2.8.

My big doubt know is buying now the A7II, i'm afraid the price drop after the re alpha release!!!

By other hand is so new this A7II, maybe will not drop the price.

That is what i want some thoughts from the members.

Best regards,

goncalo

Guest all8

Thanks Tim,

But why do you think that?

Do you think the new alpha will came with great improvements at the same price as 7II or 7R?

Or the MKII will drop the price?

In all the sony websites, show up, 7, 7R and 7II a sign over the photo of the MK2, saying "NEW".

You clearly don't need the camera, so wait.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I need the camera!

Next week i need to make a job, and if i don´t buy it i need to get some borrowed material to do the job!

The thing if the new "A9" or "A7RII", como with more mega pixels and IBIS, and will come more expensive than the A7II will be not for me.

What make think to wait, is if with the new release the price of A7II will drop! Now i can get a good deal here in Portugal with the A7II, 1550,00€. 

If the new camera came like 2000€ is not for me! 

If the current camera has all the functionality you need now then buy it.

Any subsequent new camera which has additional functionality - which you might "want" but don't "need" - won't really detract from the usefulness (and enjoyment) of the current A7.

If the current line-up cannot meet your need in terms of functionality then don't buy - wait. Or look at other manufacturer's offerings.

If you buy now then when you do start thinking about upgrading you'll have the 8k in-camera recording at 240fps A7siii to consider! I remember when I got an OM4Ti (or was it an OM2Ti?) and genuinely believed that I'd never need a new camera...

It sounds to me like you're caught in the usual heat of wanting something --which screws up your ability to make a cold, objective appraisal--and letting elements of the decision get out of proportion.  What difference does it make to you if the price falls after you buy? This is only relevant if you want to sell. If you need the camera for business use and if it has the technical features you want then buy. I agree on the value of IBIS, which is a unique feature and all by itself would justify your purchase, if you're shooting commercially and want to deliver top-quality work. 

It's just like the stock market.  No reason to get upset if your portfolio drops unless you need to sell!! You will only experience a loss if you sell at a low point and if you stick tight it will recover over time.  You won't get the price of your camera back on resale but you will make money with it while you own it.

The price of cameras always drops if you wait long enough...

The thing to ask is a) how much will it cost you to rent the kit you need B) if another camera comes out that you would prefer could you re-sell the A7II for a reasonable price.

If the amount of money you would lose by selling the A7II is less than the cost of renting the kit you need then I would buy the A7II now.

I've just switched from using the Canon 5d3 to a mix of the A7II and A7s and we are planning on using them for filming as well as stills work. If you are primarily filming and the camera is capable of filming in full HD (1920x1080 pixels) how many extra do you actually need ? 

The A7s is superb in low light filming and is still better in that aspect than the A7II, it doesn't have IBIS but many lenses have stabilisation built in and you've said you are planning on using a tripod for most work.... Personally I'm hoping that the next version of the A7s has in-camera 4k recording rather than needing an external recorder.... 

What make think to wait, is if with the new release the price of A7II will drop! Now i can get a good deal here in Portugal with the A7II, 1550,00€. 

In what store ? VAT included ?

The best I saw was in Spain and was 1650 euros, VAT included.

Snowfun, You made the Point, , you are really right!

The new camera maybe have additional functionality wich maybe i might want but i really don´t need, and will be more expensive for sure.

The rumores is that the new camera will be the Mk2 of A7R, called maybe A9, maybe will get a higher pixel sensor, and IBIS, and maybe cost a lot more of the A7R

Maybe the only thing i wish more in the A7II is the 4K, but cable to record in the memory card, or else will be not useful to me! And 240fps or even 120fps will be so good!

NEAudio and Lisabeaney , you are also right! My Canon 7D that i sold was bought on January of 2010, was more than payed! And this sony is to last at least more 5 years :-) 

PSH, is in a local store here in Portugal, I also saw that price is spain!

There is any prevision when will be announced the new Alpha camera?

Thanks to all.

I'm quite tempted to buy it now!

I'm quite anxious to get the hands in a alpha camera!

But is hard to make the decision if the camera will be announced in 2 weeks!

:)

I decided to wait, and, get an A6000 and a couple of fe lenses (55/16-35) to hold me over. Gets my feet wet on the "Sony" protocols and get over the $$ shock the lenses were gonna create anyway. The A6000 will be the perfect b-rig ,part of the grand plan all along.

I'm sort of in the same position, although I have no commercial pressure in this regard. My only thought, which might help, is - bear in mind that there might be a significant delay between any possible announcement of a new A7 body and its actual release, possibly even months. Can you afford to rent this long for pro work?

Maybe will be a significant delay between any possible announcement of a new A7 body and its actual release, and after the release how long will be available on the stores and at what price? 

I already ordered and i'm so anxious to get in my hands!!! 

The next Sony camera should be A7RII .. The only benefit you get over the A7II is the 36MP sensor (and maybe a silent shutter), so do you think that you need those extra pixels ?

The expected price will be around €2200

If you will wait for price drop then you will wait for ever because Sony is releasing a new model every year and that will cause faster price changes.

My advice is to go for it and buy that A7II , you will love it and it will serve you for many years with it's specifications.

If you want I can send you a Sony A7II for €1399 and Sony 55mm f/1.8 for €720 including shipping charges to your country by FedEx.

I agree with you ViruS X! it was that one of the reasons i made my decision to buy!

New? It's a nice price... but in europe we need to pay the import taxes in my case is more 23%

I also got a great deal!