Expectant "father"; A7RII Being Delivered Tomorrow; Lenses?

Ceallach

I am one of the many who is transitioning to mirrorless from the Canon system (6D).  I have been researching lenses and it's making my head spin.  Until I decide which Sony or aftermarket lenses to get I will use the MC-11 adapter with my current setup.  I have always used zoom lenses but am considering using primes with this camera.  The biggest obstacle I have is budget.  

What lenses would be recommended for a new Sony shooter?  Also, how are the aftermarket lenses with regards to sharpness/IQ?

FYI, here is my current collection of lenses.

- Tokina 16-28mm; use for landscape, architecture,etc. 

- Sigma 24-105mm; used as my general--purpose lens.

- Canon 70-200 f/4; considering keeping this if the IQ with the adapter is good.

- Canon 100-400; same as the 70-200

- Tamron 90mm Macro; used for macro 

So my immediate needs would be to cover from wide-angle to around 100mm,

Thanks.  I am new to this forum and this is my first post.  One more day and I can pass out cigars.

Firstly, congratulations.

I found with both of my sons that wide angle was my friend. I was up close and personal most of the time, interacting to get those precious moments, not 8 feet back with a mid-range tele. 50mm is about the longest i’d go in a prime for this specific use case. The 24-70 range is excellent. Much wider and you’ll start distorting your baby’s features.

As they aged (sitting unassisted and fully aware), I found myself using more mid range than wide.

(For what it’s worth, most of my first sons’ baby photos were shot with a canon 50/1.4 and 24-70/2.8L, while most of my second sons’ were shot with a Zeiss batis 25/2 and 85/1.8)

I think you will find the Sigma 24-105 will work really well, except in my case the auto focus noise was so bad it precluded using it for video, even with a Rode microphone (but on camera).  Why do you want to duplicate the range of the Sigma (you want wide angle to 100mm??)?  Before buying any native lenses I would use what you have and see how the lenses perform in the adapted mode.  Biggest issues will be full function (eye AF, etc) and speed and accuracy of autofocus. When your biggest obstacle is budget, I would think you would really try to use the glass you currently have.  Native full frame Sony glass is expensive, and dedicated aftermarket fe mount lenses are not very plentiful.  Identify your needs, then save for the best you can afford.

Sorry for the delayed response. . This child has been keeping me up at night. I'm very happy so far and the learning curve is starting to level out.

I appreciate the responses/advice. I think I've developed my lens strategy. I have a 55mm f/1.8 Sonnar Zeiss being delivered today.

Thanks again!

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

I think you will find the Sigma 24-105 will work really well, except in my case the auto focus noise was so bad it precluded using it for video, even with a Rode microphone (but on camera). Why do you want to duplicate the range of the Sigma (you want wide angle to 100mm??)? Before buying any native lenses I would use what you have and see how the lenses perform in the adapted mode. Biggest issues will be full function (eye AF, etc) and speed and accuracy of autofocus. When your biggest obstacle is budget, I would think you would really try to use the glass you currently have. Native full frame Sony glass is expensive, and dedicated aftermarket fe mount lenses are not very plentiful. Identify your needs, then save for the best you can afford.

Good question/point about duplicating the Sigma. I want to get a couple of primes now and I'll eventually replace the Sigma. That's my thinking at the moment.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk