Sony SEL 18-200mm silver

Hello Everyone.

I am thinking of getting a super zoom lens sony sel 18-200mm for my a6500 Body. Have you ever used this lens or do you recommend me getting one? I do most of the videos so it will be maily for my videography.. I got a nice deal on it, ($350 - USD)  so i am not sure if i should get it or not.

Thanks in advance.

Guest Jaf-Photo

It's a great lens, especially for stills.

I don't know how you shoot videos but in general, there are better options. Typically, you'd want a mechanical focus and aperture control, which this lens lacks.

This lens also has zoom creep unless It's locked at 18mm. So you would have to be careful not to tilt the lens while shooting video.

I Don't know if you just take videos of your pets and friends or do serious stuff, though.

It's a great lens, especially for stills.

I don't know how you shoot videos but in general, there are better options. Typically, you'd want a mechanical focus and aperture control, which this lens lacks.

This lens also has zoom creep unless It's locked at 18mm. So you would have to be careful not to tilt the lens while shooting video.

I Don't know if you just take videos of your pets and friends or do serious stuff, though.

Planning for a serious stuffs but i'm still learning.. I thought this was a great deal as the seller offered be 350 bucks..

so, any other lens you recommend me beside this? doesn't have to be a super zoom lens though..

I use a6500 and have a kit lens  currently

Guest Jaf-Photo

It depends. I prefer manual vintage lenses for filming. If you will rely more on autofocus, one of Sony's f4 zooms is probably a good compromise for price/performance.

• 4 weeks later...

Dears, I have the 18-200 silver and it is a very good lens for travelling for its long range focal length. I always travel with it on my A-6000 + a Nex-7 with Sony 10-18. A drawback of this lens is that it has  the tendency of dust collection behind the front elements. It is easily cleanable (I even cleaned mine myself), but would not prefer to use it all the time so save it for travel (especially in a relatively dusty weather like in Egypt). I am even considering a Sigma 18-200 or 18-250 + the LA-Ea2 adapter. I have used the Sigma 18-200 on a Nikon for may be 7 years and never had a problem, my daughter still uses it till now. The combination Sigma + adapter is almost the same size and weight (14 mm longer).

With respect to videos, I personally do not find it as a great option, due to its weight and size, after the first minute to 2, you start suffering fatigue in your arm. Adapted vintage lenses would be a very good option.

Why not use rge Power-Zoom version of this lens. It is specifically designed for video use. It is, however, more expensive. I use the original 18-200mm silver lens on my a6000, and it is the only lens I use (Except for macro where I use my 100mm Canon L lens, with adaptor and manual focus). One disadvantage of the 18-200mm lens is that one cannot use the built in flash, as the lens partially blocks the flash light. There are two other versions of the 18-200mm lens, one Sony, one Tamron. which are newer, cheaper and optically not so good.