DJI Ronin-M + A7s + Atomos Shogun (First Video)

HatlessChimp

Purchased from - http://sphere.net.au/

They were the only place that still have stock without having to wait on back orders - Tell them I sent you! 

I pulled the DJI Ronin-M straight out of the box and started recording this video. 

Attaching my Sony A7S to the quick release plate was easy and adjusting the balance was fairly straight forward with the stand. 10 minutes max for setup and adjusting. It's well packaged and certainly well built, it feels very durable and extremely light weight for what it is. I have to improve my technique a bit, but so far its a handy piece of kit. I might go down to the local skate park and get some 60/120 fps footage. Its probably where its really going to shine. But at this stage I think its a bit of over kill for what I do. But I am hoping to improve myself to the point I can shoot a short film and then it would be handy then. Also please take note that the lens I used didnt have Image stabilization built in nor does the Sony A7s. I will upload a Video comparing a 24-105mm USM Vs the 35mm & 50mm Samyang's without IS. This video was filmed in 4K @ 25fps.  

The Sony A7S & Atomos Shogun are new and I'm still got to learn how to use them. But I am about to start ramping up production of more video more consistently as I get used to Filming, Lighting, Editing and Sound editing. 

If you like the Video & Subscribe it does my confidence the world of good and helps me to continue on with making more videos and improve my skills with each one. Thanks

Equipment Used:

DJI Ronin-M

Sony A7S

Samyang 35mm T1.5

Atomos Shogun

Sandisk Ultra II 480GB SSD

Rode NTG3

B-Roll:

Sony FDR-AX100

Sandisk 128gb Extreme Pro SD

Manfrotto 502AH Fluid  Head

Manfrotto Tripod

I used a manual focus lens.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/887052-REG/Samyang_sycv35_c_35mm_T1_5_Cine_Lens.html#

For static shots you can open the lens right up to fl.5 but moving forward towards or around a subject at various focal lengths then something like f16 to f22 and ramp the iso up. Ideally a wireless follow focus installed with the controller mounted to the handle would be perfect!

http://www.cinegears.com/product/cinegears-single-axis-wireless-follow-focus-express-kit/

The ronin looks super. Loved the testing routine!

Focus - I was pleasantly surprised at how well you held focus throughout and even when it dropped it looked natural. At the high ISO the a7s is capable of I suppose f11 & f16 are extremely viable.

Have you recorded 1080 on the Atomos and, if so, is there any noticeable (in the real world) difference between prores and xavcs? (I suppose the real answer to that is contingent on how much grading you are trying to do in post but your thoughts would be appreciated).

Tim

Ps my Ronin M order is still in the "pre-order" phase...