SONY 10-18mm F/4.0 OSS

dbaechli

Mont de Baulmes (Jura, Switzerland).

I bought the 10-18mm a while ago, only because I could get it very cheap. I did use it for a couple of shots, then sold it with a bit of profit. Ever since I have missed that lens, so when it was again available as a special price item, I bought it again. I have mainly used it on the a7. It does produce some lens flares in certain conditions, but I still like it a lot. It does work in APS-C mode on the fullframe a7. Didn't mount it on the a6000 yet.

Here are a couple of snaps I took on a hike, the buffalos while biking:

20141018_104526_0005-5.jpg

20141018_105951_0011-9.jpg

20141018_112442_0022-21.jpg

Those are some mighty pretty buffalo - like the look that lens gives. Is this available in A mount?

I really dig that lens! I wouldn't know about A-mount, though. Pretty sure there must be some (decent?) wide angle for A-mount..?

And yes, those buffalos are impressing - and so curious! They all came up to check me out and when they had their look*, they would just walk away and mind their own business ,-)

*I got pretty close, the lens being wide angle and the buffalo almost eating the lens *g*

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The 10-18 works in full frame mode too.  Just has some strong light fall off at each end of the zoom range. But if I recall correctly it works well between 12-16mm.

There is no equivalent A mount Sony lens.  Sigma make a 12-24 full frame A mount and there is a few other APS-C A mount ultra wide lenses. But they are different designs.

The E mount 10-18 produces excellent results. Hard to beat for the price. Plus it has OSS, constant F4 and silent focus.  It is a very cool lens.

If there's ONE Sony (mirrorless) lens you really need, it is this 10-18mm. It has also fantastic close focus distance. Actually, I bought it twice.. It was above CHF 800 here and I bought it off the local dealer as a so called "Börsenartikel" for 530 and sold it after a couple of shots for 750 (I just wanted the money). Then I really did miss the lens, waited and, surprise, the local dealer had it again for about 580. Now its regular price is 760 or so.. ,-)

@Austerror: I'm going to give it a try it in FF mode and f12+

• 1 month later...

I bought the lens for my A6000. Sharp, clear images with good contrast. One major problem: lens does not cover the frame, leaving a slice along the bottom and right side empty of information.

So for all practical purposes lens is a failure.

Guess I'll havevtonuse my Nikon lenses as those are fine.

More Imuse the mirrorless Sony the more I see its value seems exclusively in the ability to save a bit on weight and allow the use of lenses made by othe manufacturers.

I mean that when I make an image with the zoom moved in to about 12-15 mm the image recorded has a blank white strip in the edges of the image. Image was framed horizontally, and the lower left of the image and an area from lower right up about an inch is white- nothing there. I can't explain it. With other lenses I own no problem exists.

That's a pretty strange problem, Bob.

I've never seen such a problem before and I own the same lens.

Triple-check if that lens is correctly mounted, but in my opinion you should send that lens back as long as you have a return policy on it (or consult a Sony dealer for warranty service). Try mounting that lens onto another camera body (at your Sony reseller...) to check that your A6000 isn't the culprit.

Could you post a picture you took under those circumstances?

Guess I'll havevtonuse my Nikon lenses as those are fine.

More Imuse the mirrorless Sony the more I see its value seems exclusively in the ability to save a bit on weight and allow the use of lenses made by othe manufacturers.

I don't quite know what to say, particularly reading the last sentence.. ¯\_(ö)_/¯

• 3 weeks later...

The following picture is made with the 10-18 mm on the A7 which is full-frame. It is cropped from 4000x6000 down to 3878 x 5817 pixels - a minor loss. Yes, there is a shadow at the corner which I like in this picture.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Definitely oodles of fun.

My own 10-18 OSS is not constant f/4, but

for $175 [open box clearance] I didn't even

consider whether I needed it. I mean it was

more than obvious that IT needed ME :-) 

Unfortunately, Canon designs their EF-S

series to sit deeper into the body than their

regular EF lenses, so I can't switch it over

to my FF body ... and that sample shot of

the tall building shot on an A7 is, ironically

speaking, just plain out of reach for me.  

Had a guest drop by the other day with a

8-16 Sigma on order. I hope she brings it

by next time. It's in Nikon mount, so I can

can easily see it's full frame circle without

encountering the "Canon Problem".

`

Definitely oodles of fun.

My own 10-18 OSS is not constant f/4, but

for $175 [open box clearance] I didn't even

consider whether I needed it. I mean it was

more than obvious that IT needed ME :-) 

Unfortunately, Canon designs their EF-S

series to sit deeper into the body than their

regular EF lenses, so I can't switch it over

to my FF body ... and that sample shot of

the tall building shot on an A7 is, ironically

speaking, just plain out of reach for me.  

Had a guest drop by the other day with a

8-16 Sigma on order. I hope she brings it

by next time. It's in Nikon mount, so I can

can easily see it's full frame circle without

encountering the "Canon Problem".

`

Which lens are you talking about that is a Canon EF-S mount?

• 3 weeks later...

Gallery of Flickr images captured with the Sony SEL1018F4 OSS

https://www.flickr.com/photos/markgaler/sets/72157651584354557/

• 2 weeks later...

That's a good start.

You can try a couple of things:

- tulips look huge when shot with a wideangle if you shot from down up towards the sky

- watch the framing (cutting off stuff - not easy in a field of so many flowers, though)

- if you don't want that much distortion, hold the camera level, don't tilt it up or down

- move back a bit from what you want to shot if the subject needs to be straight

- use perspective control in post processing / app (Lightroom or whatever)

- if you want dramatic distortion, play with it (cityscapes / skyscrapers are willing models, or trees, etc.)

- don't try to shot close up portraits of people -lol-

- but try to place something close to the lens and include some faraway background

I do not always remember these points myself - but this solid built Sony 10-18 is a decent piece of glass! Make good use of it and you will love it not just as a fun lens but as a tool for some serious photography ,-)

That's a good start.

You can try a couple of things:

- tulips look huge when shot with a wideangle if you shot from down up towards the sky

- watch the framing (cutting off stuff - not easy in a field of so many flowers, though)

- if you don't want that much distortion, hold the camera level, don't tilt it up or down

- move back a bit from what you want to shot if the subject needs to be straight

- use perspective control in post processing / app (Lightroom or whatever)

- if you want dramatic distortion, play with it (cityscapes / skyscrapers are willing models, or trees, etc.)

- don't try to shot close up portraits of people -lol-

- but try to place something close to the lens and include some faraway background

I do not always remember these points myself - but this solid built Sony 10-18 is a decent piece of glass! Make good use of it and you will love it not just as a fun lens but as a tool for some serious photography ,-)

Cheers! I will try to remember those points.

PS. Animals up close look hilarious though ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a cow for you