Wireless flash trigger for A6000

Hi All,

I need some help with what wireless triggers will work between my A6000 and my Sony HVL-F43M. 

I admit, I'm almost completely clueless about all the technicalities that go on between triggers and flashes, despite trying to work it all out.  I don't want to spend hundreds of pounds, so is there a budget friendly setup I can use?  I assume as I have Sony camera and current flashgun that this ought to be straightforward, but I'm struggling to find an easy answer.

Please could you help me out?  I'm hoping to learn how to use my flashgun in the new year.

Thanks in advance.

Clare

I sort of doubt, that you will receive a full-fledged tutorial here. But If you could manage to break your problem down into distinct sub-tasks and ask for answers on those, that would greatly improve your chances of getting helpful answers.

I'll give you some examples: why do you want/need a flash in the first place? What's your favorite application? What is the expected ambiance, what the distance between camera, flash(es), target? Outdoors, studio? And so on. 

Guest Jaf-Photo

If you're after wireless radio control with TTL there are only a few options like Sony or Phottix that cost a fair bit. If you're happy with manual control there are loads of affordable options. Optical control with another flash is an option but I find them impractical as you have to arrange the flashes according to line of sight rather than where they are the most needed.

Personally, I think it's faster and more precise to use manual flash rather than TFL. Recently, I've used Hahnel transmitters and receivers. I bought them for freeze frame triggers but found them overall responsive and reliable to use.

Thanks for the advice so far.

OK, so I don't need a super fancy setup.  I shall mostly be using it indoors, in the house, to take pictures of my son.  I want to learn more about flash and how to use it for the basics of capturing interesting portraits.  The flash would be within 1-2m of the camera.

Ideally, I would like TTL, but I guess if I'm learning flash, I'd just as well do it properly and learn to do it manually.

I have a set of Apurture TX-II Trigmaster Plus II wireless triggers that I was led to believe would work, but they don't seem to.  Anything I can do to convert them?  They seem to be Canon/Nikon compatible.

Thanks

Clare

Guest Jaf-Photo

The aputure should work if you set everything to manual. Manual triggers tend not to be brand-specific. You can Google to get the right settings for the units.

However if you're keeping the flash that close to the camera, you can get a flash sync cord that will preserve TTL.

The aputure should work if you set everything to manual. Manual triggers tend not to be brand-specific. You can Google to get the right settings for the units.

However if you're keeping the flash that close to the camera, you can get a flash sync cord that will preserve TTL.

Ahhh, fantastic, thanks very much Jaf-photo!  I can get a flash sync cord for TTL and then venture into manual with the wireless triggers. That's brilliant.

Any suggestions for a flash sync cord or are they all much the same?

Guest Jaf-Photo

I'm not entirely sure, but I think Sony isn't making oem sync cables atm.

So, it's a third party cord. As long as it is specified for Sony TTL and has the ISO hot shoe, it should be fine. Most of these things are made in China to the same or similar specs.