Kit lens

Hi all, 

I have read a number of blogs and reviews of the A7, as I attempt to invest into my first full frame camera.

I am a keen amateur, hoping to take my hobby up another notch.

My concern is the comments from some that suggest that the kit lens is not as sharp as perhaps it could be, I would value the opinions of those on this forum that may have used the camera for a while.

I think it fairer to gauge from long time users, in preference to a short term test.

Well, the kit lens is not as sharp as the 24-70mm f4 from zeiss, but if you don't want to invest in the 24-70mm f4 the 28-70mm is a good alternative. 

I have access to the a7ii with the 28-70mm and it works decent. People that "hates" on this lens is mostly thinking quality according to how much it cost. If you look at it that way the 28-70mm is a bit on the pricy side.If you got the money to spend I would choose the 24-70mm f4 but if you have a tighter budget I would go with the 28-70mm. and maybe later on buy a prime, the 35mm 2.8 or the 55mm 1.8 for the sony e mount. They let in more light and are sharper then the 24-70mm f4 zoom. 

It´s up to you but I would not expect a 500$ lens to give you as sharp images as a 500$ prime or a 1200$ zoom.

Guest all8

Perhaps another idea is to visit a photo sharing site and see what people are able to do with the Kit Lens and the alternative, you can usually search on that. It could be that you are happy with the photos that the Kit Lens produces.

IMHO if you want to step it up a notch, get the Kit zoom and then get a Prime lens to go with it. The 28/35/55 would be a good place to start, or a Loxia which adds an interesting element of Manual Focus and very very good image quality.