Australian newbie

Cuppa

G’day folks,

Wife & I have recently retired to become full time ‘gypsies’, travelling around Australia as our fancy takes us, for as long as we continue to enjoy ‘life on the road’. 

My past photographic experience has been ‘sporadic’. 35 years ago I had an Olympus OM1 SLR & used to convert our bathroom to a dark room now & again. In more recent times I bought a Canon ‘superzoom’ (SX10IS) after my wife accidentally dropped my lovely little Sony T1 down a cliff in the Karijini National park. 

I had begun to feel frustrated with the limitations of the Canon, not a bad camera for what it was, but very poor in low light unless using very slow shutter speeds & a tripod. Even modestly ISO settings gave horribly grainy results. I also like to watch & photograph birds & the Canon’s frame rate was just too slow, resulting in many missed shots. 

Soooo.... I have just purchased a new camera, my choice in large part because of my experience with the little T1. Sure it was only a point & shoot, but was quite an impressive tiny point & shoot. So Sony was at the top of my list.

I also recalled a friend showing me a Sony Nex 3 (I think) several years ago & being super impressed with it’s size & low light capability. I was always going to buy a mirrorless camera when eventually upgrading. 

Well reaching the grand old age of 60 was the excuse I needed to make the upgrade step, & I have just bought a Sony A6500, together with 3 lenses, a Sony 35mm F1.8mm, a Sony 10-18mm F4 zoom, & a 16-70mm Sony (Zeiss) zoom. 

Haven’t used them yet, still getting my head around all the new stuff, & awaiting an SD card in the mail.

I think I may still want a longer focal length zoom for the birds, but so far the camera feels & looks like a pretty impressive piece of equipment which I’m looking forward to using. I’m hoping that this forum might be a useful resource to me as I become more familiar with what my camera can do.