Feedback & Thoughts on Sony 20mm/f2.8 lens

LSI_CameraGuy

I recently rented the Sony 20mm lens for landscape pics and was not overly impressed with IQ/sharpness.  I took many pics comparing that lens to my 16mm-50mm kit lens at different aperture settings and in most cases I could not see any difference.  I compare at f/4, f/6.3, f/8 and f/11 in good light and low light settings.  

As a point of reference, I had previously used the Sony 35mm/f1.8 and was able to see noticeable IQ improvement vs. the kit lens, so I have some confidence I'm able to discern.  

I wanted to like the 20mm lens for it's FL and compact size and because of good (not great) scores on DXO Mark, in which it appears to be much higher rated than kit lens.

Does anyone have experience using this lens on A6000 and comments to share?  Is it possible I rented a bad copy?  I hear people talk about good and bad copies of lenses but have no idea how common a bad lens really is.  

I would suggest you take a look at the Sigma 19mm 2.8 which is a bargain priced very sharp lens.  There are several comparison reviews out there with very favorable results for the Sigma.  It is really tiny too (I have the lens, have not used the Sony as Sigma meets my needs in this FL).

Guest Jaf-Photo

The kitlens is worst at the wide end so I'm surprised there is no difference compared to the prime. Perhaps you're using lens corrections in camera or in software afterwards? That would reduce the obvious differences.

The Sigma 19 is an affordable alternative, as per above, although it's got rough corners.

Guest Jaf-Photo

Well, my take on the 20mm is that it is a better landscape lens than 16-50 or Sigma 19. The reason is that image quality is more uniform across the frame. It also has nice rendering in terms of colours and contrast. If you consider that 20mm is a more difficult focal length to design for, I think it is on par with the 35mm and 50mm.

• 2 months later...

I am new to the A6000 and it's set-up but I have just returned a purchased Sigma 19mm A-lens to the dealer because the camera 'reported' that it was incompatible with the anti-shake camera system (OSS?). In (brief) testing with the Sigma I was getting a 1 second (?) lag between button-press and shutter release - with consequent 'wobbles' in the final image. Jaf-Photo's counsel elsewhere about staying with Sony for the benefits of OSS are well borne out by this experience.

The Sigma 19mm f/2.8 doesn't have OSS and the a6000 doesn't have a stabilized sensor, so it's no wonder your image isn't stabilized. The Sony 20mm f/2.8 doesn't have OSS either so it has nothing to doe with the brand of the lens. If you want a stabilized image, get the a6500 or a lens designated with OSS.

Thanks Pieter. I will aim for the OSS solution particularly as the A6500 would cost me more than 3x what I have paid for the A6000! One of the charms of the A6000 is being 'pocketable' and no way do I want to go around with a tripod (enough of that with my Canon)....

I just need to keep reading this most useful forum to make sure I make the right choice of OSS available. Aside from my present 16-50mm kit lens, I aspire to the to-be-released 18-135mm and eventually the 10-18mm (both Sony). Any other suggestions from you knowledgeable folks would be most welcome.

Thanks Pieter. I will aim for the OSS solution particularly as the A6500 would cost me more than 3x what I have paid for the A6000! One of the charms of the A6000 is being 'pocketable' and no way do I want to go around with a tripod (enough of that with my Canon)....

Just note that image stabilization is barely necessary for wide angle lenses in the focal length you are looking at.  It is just the opposite of telephotos where camera movement is magnified.  Remember the good old days of film when all you had for stabilization was your body, tripod, monopod, or an inert object of some form.  I personally wouldn't let the presence or absence of stabilization sway my decision.

• 1 month later...

I'm attracted to the 20mm Sony (for my A6500) as it is a pancake lens - whereas the Sigma 19mm is definitely not.  I have the 16-70mm ZA, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC DN and Sigma 60mm f2.8 DN, none of which make for a 'pocketable' outfit, hence my interest in the 20mm Sony.  At the moment I'm hesitating due to coming across quite a few comments/reviews that cast some doubt on the resolution of the lens.