Full Frame travel "kit" recommendation using A7rMk 2 or 3 and a couple of lenses

I have a good selection of lenses but am having trouble selecting the right combination of lenses for travel.  I'm buying the A7r Mk 3 soon.  I'm really trying to keep the weight down so not more than two lenses.  I'm leaning towards taking the Sony 55 f1.8 and one additional lens either Sony 35 f2.8 or Batis 25 f2 for sunrise and sunset shots and historic buildings.  Also, I could splurge (weight wise) and take the 85mm Batis but it is heavy.  I'm also interested in the Sony 50 f1.4 but it is heavy and I'm not sure it is much better than the Sony 55 f1.8 (a great lens)

I would love some inputs from the forum.

Choose one lens for indoors and night scenes, 

which is prolly a wide ior semi-wide fast prime.  

Choose a second one for daytime outdoor use, 

prolly a wide-to-tele zoom of modest weight.   

For myself thaz a 28-or-35 f/2 and an f/4 zoom  

but I wanna emphasize the idea of fulfilling the

two categorical descriptions, making clear that 

the specifications of my example lenses serve 

ONLY as examples.  

Since I wouldn't carry both lenses at once, I've 

got no reason to carry a faster zoom. But if you 

want to just carry one do-it-all lens and to never 

carry two lenses, then the zoom should be f/2.8. 

From your signature, I see you already have the 4/16-35 and the 55mm, as well as the Batis 25 and 85. That's a very reasonable selection to pick from for travel!

The 16-35mm is great - compact enough to fit into a lightweight bag. I frequently rotate between the 4/16-35, 35mm 2.8 and 55 1.8, along with the Voigtlander Nokton 35 f/1.2 II which I feel has more of a Leica look.

Have you considered Canon's tilt shifts for shooting architecture and historic buildings?

Thanks to all for the inputs.  A team decision is always better than an individual decision.

I'm looking hard at several routes:

1.  Go with on hand lenses and stick to two: the 16-35 f4 and 55 f1.8.

2.  I'm also looking at upgrading one or both of option 1 lenses.  Since I purchased the 16-35 and 55 there are newer and better choices available.  The 16-35 f2.8 is getting great reviews. And it is one stop faster than my current 16-35.  I'm also looking at the 50 f1.4.  With these two new lenses, I could sell probably three (or maybe four) of my current lenses and significantly upgrade my kit.

I ordered the A7r mk3 yesterday.  If I go with option 1, the travel kit would be 3 and one-quarter pounds (1.5 Kg).  Option 2 would be about 4 pounds (1.9 Kg).  That, for me at least, is a reasonable load to carry when I travel.  I can enjoy my hobby and not suffer with a huge load.  I will miss the reach of the 85 but can make it work.  And with really fast lenses, I do not need a flash.  Option 2 is probably the route I'll go.  Then sell the 55 f1.8, 35 f2.8 and 16-35 f4.  May even sell the 25 Batis too (but I love that lens).

Guest Jaf-Photo

Seems like two good plans. If you're anything like me, you should probably hang on to the lenses you really love, like Batis 25. Otherwise you'll probably miss them and end up buying them again.

Seems like two good plans. If you're anything like me, you should probably hang on to the lenses you really love, like Batis 25. Otherwise you'll probably miss them and end up buying them again.

You are giving some good advice there.  The worst mistake I have made on the conversion from Canon to Sony was to sell my 24-70 f2.8 L II lens.  Wish I had it back.  When I first started collecting E mount lenses, my wife asked what they cost.  I told her it was "classified".  I come from a military background.  She stopped asking.  LOL.

Guest Jaf-Photo

Well, the general has a right to know, so you're lucky she let you get away with it ;)

Personally, I'm also in the good books because I've been reducing my gear and buying used stuff over the past few years. So, I'm actually in the plus.

Thanks to all for the inputs.  A team decision is always better than an individual decision.

I'm looking hard at several routes:

1.  Go with on hand lenses and stick to two: the 16-35 f4 and 55 f1.8.

2.  I'm also looking at upgrading one or both of option 1 lenses.  Since I purchased the 16-35 and 55 there are newer and better choices available.  The 16-35 f2.8 is getting great reviews. And it is one stop faster than my current 16-35.  I'm also looking at the 50 f1.4.  With these two new lenses, I could sell probably three (or maybe four) of my current lenses and significantly upgrade my kit.

I ordered the A7r mk3 yesterday.  If I go with option 1, the travel kit would be 3 and one-quarter pounds (1.5 Kg).  Option 2 would be about 4 pounds (1.9 Kg).  That, for me at least, is a reasonable load to carry when I travel.  I can enjoy my hobby and not suffer with a huge load.  I will miss the reach of the 85 but can make it work.  And with really fast lenses, I do not need a flash.  Option 2 is probably the route I'll go.  Then sell the 55 f1.8, 35 f2.8 and 16-35 f4.  May even sell the 25 Batis too (but I love that lens).

I think the 55mm is a superb lens, and I wouldn't necessarily classify the 50mm f/1.4 an upgrade. It's a different lens design, and Zeiss' Sonnar and Planar are optically different. I'd lean on the side of testing both, if you have an opportunity, and then deciding if it's worth purchasing.

The 16-35 f/4 is great, and at the wide end, focus-by-wire isn't too much of a letdown. I personally like the 85mm f/1.4 GM as well. A 1lb difference can matter when you're traveling and hiking long distances, but of course you'd be the best judge for that.

I'm not sure about your shooting style but I personally would not take faster lenses or a higher sensitivity camera as a reason to not carry artificial light. Low light and poor light are two completely different things to deal with!