A7 II steady shot disappoints

I wonder if anybody can help me. I'm a Canon user who has just purchased a Sony A7 II. One of the things which attracted me to the camera was the idea of IBIS (steady shot).

I've spent the last week shooting with a 35mm prime and I must say that I'm very disappointed by the effectiveness of the steady shot feature. Photos taken of static objects with steady shot off at 1/30th of a second exhibit a similar level 'shake' to those taken at 1/15th of a second with steady shot on. If I drop down to 1/8th of a second with steady shot on I see slightly more shake than when shooting at 1/30th of a second with it off.

In other words, I'm only enjoying around 1-2 stops of stabilization (Sony claims 4.5 stops). Even the kit lens which I got with my Canon 80D provided me with around 3 stops of real-world stabilization.

I really want to love this camera, but the feature which I was most excited about has fallen way short of expectations.

I'm toying with the idea of sending the camera back, but I thought that I'd ask what is clearly a very experienced community of users for help/advice before doing so.

This is a native prime and steady shot is set up correctly - even manually setting steady shot to 35mm rather than auto makes no difference.

Thanks in advance.