'Camera Error - Switch camera off then on'

I have two camera bodies (both A7ii) and one yesterday morning came up with this error immediately on switch on. I changed batteries, SD card, etc to no avail...v annoying. The camera would switch on like normal then a few seconds later would come up with this message, I tried for 20 minutes but complete lockup and this message only.

I had no choice but to go out at lunchtime during a shoot and buy another to ensure I had two for safety. The faulty one has been sent back to Sony for a swap I hope, but it doesn't bode well for reliability - anyone else had this issue?

• 3 weeks later...

I had (have) the same thing with the A7ii. Still within the Best Buy return policy so going back - not only for that but logistic reasons. Like you, I shoot professionally and was going to use wife's A6000 as backup, deferring a second FF body until next tax year. In the process of switching from Nikon to Sony but this doesn't bode well. The other variable is lighting where the only realistic option is Phottix Odin (on-camera control TTL (rarely) and manual (primary)) that seems to be perpetually out of stock - even on Phottix web site. Have orders (backorder status) at both B&H and Adorama, to cancel one upon notification by the other. Sony's off camera lighting, while OK, just doesn't cut it when 100% dependent on the on-camera light too trigger due to reflective surfaces limiting camera placement. The flash issue creates the logistics that allow me to defer the camera body, even bringing the a7rii into the picture as intended an a7s (a7sii) as the second body. Of course if Phottix fails to deliver in a market the effectively own, and no one else fills the gap, then it becomes a different story and would have some FE glass to sell. I would stick with my Nikon and Pocket Wizards with at camera control before I go back to how I started - running around lowering, adjusting power level, and raising lights with each setup.

• 2 weeks later...

I get the same message. I have tried everything but it's now officially a brick. Will return it the second I get home. Hopefully I'll get a new one right away. Bugs the hell out of me that this had to happen while I'm on vacation. Only have about 15 pictures from my trip.

So at Disney world I saw that 1 time. I could not clear it until I removed and reinstalled the battery. I took between 500 to 1000 pictures a day and only saw it once. I took a A6000 with me as it is always smart to have something as a backup as things just happen. Does worry me though now that you guys are saying its bricking!