Meike A7 Grip vs Dremel 4000

mttdxb

Thought this might be entertaining...

So about a year ago I bought the Meike Battery Grip for the A7Rii. Absolutely happy with the product and perfect money safer from the original + the additional remote feature... Happy Days...

Now a few weeks back, when attaching the grip and tightening the thumb wheel, there was a suspicious clicking noise towards the end... either I tightened to strong or the wheel got lose over time, but in no way I could loosen the grip from the camera any more, the wheel was just totally lose and not catching the screw. 

Checked with my local Sony store, no ideas, checked online, no ideas. Turns out the tiny bolts to access that thumb wheel section are actually at the bottom of the grip, so when attached to the camera, there is no chance at all to reach these bolts...

So my mission began... Meike A7 Grip vs a Dremel 4000 ... Enjoy... (kept is bw for the dramatic effect :-))

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

... sorry some of the pics are out of sequence on the 2nd post... but you get the point...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

as you can see there was only one survivor... luckily it was the A7 and only the Meike Grip got the beating!

Was wondering if I should send the Meike puzzle to their support for replacement along with the picture documentary? :-D

Next stop: Sony Store to get the original grip!

The remote will never work with a genuine Sony grip as the wireless function is not offered by Sony.

I would contact Meike and ask for a replacement that screw stripping in a manufacturing fault

Next stop: Sony Store to get the original grip!

You could buy 4 of these for what you'd pay for the Sony and if you go all Neanderthal on tightening the thing again, instead of ruining an $80 grip you'd be be botching a $350 grip. (I went the $80 route and don't reach for the Vice Grips when attaching.)

Fun stuff. I carved up an old Sigma zoom last week 

but never documented that. I spoze I really should 

have. OTOH I wasn't likely to be handling my good,  

functional gear whilst carving up the lens cuz I was 

more and more covered in static-clinging black dust. 

Mebbe I used too coarse a cutting bit ....

i thought of getting this 2 years ago , but it's something that i could not find use for ,looking at that i am glad i did not take the plunge , wonder if the remote for this will work on the sony original?

This will definitely not work, Sony Grip is missing the receiver so the remote will trigger into nowhere... As i mainly use the remote for timelapse or astro, the module is static and i just use a cable trigger.

You could buy 4 of these for what you'd pay for the Sony and if you go all Neanderthal on tightening the thing again, instead of ruining an $80 grip you'd be be botching a $350 grip. (I went the $80 route and don't reach for the Vice Grips when attaching.)

Yes for sure but I am not sure if I can survive another open heart surgery on my camera. Cutting with 3000rpm, millimeters away from the camera body is no fun.

Fun stuff. I carved up an old Sigma zoom last week

but never documented that. I spoze I really should

have. OTOH I wasn't likely to be handling my good,

functional gear whilst carving up the lens cuz I was

more and more covered in static-clinging black dust.

Mebbe I used too coarse a cutting bit ....

Lots if fine dust here as well, but mainly non static which made it easy to remove.

I would never spring $300+ for the Sony Grip...as noted above you can buy 4 Meike grips and there is no guarantee you wouldn't over tighten the Sony.  And if you do have another stuck grip, just think you've had the experience of removing one already, the next one, two, or three should be progressively easier as your skill improves.

Lots if fine dust here as well, but mainly non static which made it easy to remove. 

I'm a tenant and the maintenance here is miserable. Maybe if the 

ground wires in the household wiring were actually grounded the 

cutting bit would have drained off the static charge before it could  

even get started. With the coarse cutter, I had sharp gritty plastic

particles clinging all over me.

• 2 weeks later...