Which Zeiss lens should I get for my A7 II?

Hi, I'm brand new to this forum, I just purchased the Sony A7 II, now it's time to select the lenses. I have decided on getting one of the Zeiss line of lenses. Here is my dilemma, should I get the 24-70 F4 as a good standard zoom all around lens, or spring for the 35 F28 and the 55 F18 together? I don't care about the added effort in swapping out lenses, however I need to know if I would be able to use both of these lenses for a decent walk around zoom to cover the general 24-70mm range? Thanks again.

`    

I already have many lenses, but none were 

are FE mount general use midrange lens so 

when I encountered an open box special on

the 24-70 I gave it a try. It's quick, quiet, and 

sharper than it needs to be. It does distort a 

bit too much for critical work, but In general 

purpose use, no problem. It also costs too 

much unless you find a deal, or have a lot 

more spare change than I do ! Some might 

also think it's kinda large. While it would be 

cool if it were smaller, I've also used it on my 

a6000 and it's not too huge on there. Big but 

not heavy. On the a7-II it's about right. I do 

have midrange lenses on SLRs. Makes the 

a7-II with 24-70 seem verrrrry tidy :-) 

Both of the primes you mention are excellent, I personally (I have both lenses) would choose the 35mm 2.8.  It is tiny, really tiny; amazingly sharp with great color rendering.  The 35mm focal length is, in my use, a better all around single lens focal length.  Quite often it is easier to walk a few steps forward rather than back, and you can crop to get a bit closer, nothing to do if you need wider.  As to the 24-70, it appears to be a dicey choice...some have praised it, others disappointed.  I had one, it was OK, good general purpose zoom.

As in all things, it depends how and what you shoot.  But the 35mm 2.8 is my favorite.

Guest Jaf-Photo

55/1.8 is an essential lens for any FE system. In many situations it's not suitable for wide shots, though. So, it could be a good idea to complement it with the 28/2 lens, which is quite affordable. I always caution against the 35/2.8 because it's expensive and has strong vignetting and corner blurring, which is uncharacteristic of a 35mm prime. The 28/2 is half the price and wider, faster and has more uniform sharpness across the frame.

Just changed from olympus em1 with pro zooms to a7ii with the 28 70 kit lens, samyang 14mm for night shots and 55 1.8.

55.18 is a must. Now I'm planning to add the 24mm 1.8 which I ve read its amazing too.

Enviado desde mi PRA-LX1 mediante Tapatalk

I have just moved from olympus em 1 and pros zooms to a7ii with 28 7p kit lens, Samyang 14mm for night shots and 55 1.8 as a first prine. It's amazing sharp. In my opinion it's a must. Now I'm thinking to add or 28mm f2 or 24mm 1.8.

Enjoy folks.

Enviado desde mi PRA-LX1 mediante Tapatalk

I'll second the 55mm 1.8 choice. 

A camera isn't nearly as much fun without at least one fast lens. 

With this lens mounted the camera is still able to fit on a man's jacket pocket, and its small enough to take photos without people noticing and putting on their face smiles.

JCC

I'll second the 55mm 1.8 choice. 

A camera isn't nearly as much fun without at least one fast lens. 

Hugely agree with that sentiment concerning "at least one 

fast lens". OTOH the 55 isn't the only fast lens available ... 

Keeping with Zeiss lenses does limit your options :-( 

I only mentioned the 55mm because it was one of his original picks. 

Its a very interesting lens on the A7ii, because the scale of image through the viewfinder and the other eye nearly matches.  You get really good binocular vision if you shoot with both eyes open.

JCC