14 replies to this topic

#1 Guy R

Guy R

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationBarbados

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:04 PM

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

I am switching to Sony from Olympus and considering the a7RII with the 16-35 f/4 and 24-70 f/4 zooms.

Most people here seem to be happy with the 16-35, but the 24-70 f/4 gets very varied reviews on the net.

Anyone have experience of this lens?

#2 Jeffreykmd

Jeffreykmd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:37 PM

I have the A7r2 with the 16-35. I am extremely happy with the results. I do not have the 24-70. I am using the FE 55 1.8 Zeiss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#3 Guy R

Guy R

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationBarbados

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:58 PM

That is an interesting combination Jeffrey, and the 55 gets very good reviews.

#4 Jeffreykmd

Jeffreykmd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 02:19 AM

I also own the 70-200 g 4.0 as well as the 90 2.8 macro

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

#5 Username

Username

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:24 AM

`   

I use the 24-70. Greatest flaws are distortion and price. 

I don't use it for architecture and I bought mine cheap. 

So I have no complaint.  

YMMV

`

#6 Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:52 AM

There is plenty material on these lenses, such as tests, reviews, image samples and performance videos.

My take would be to not go into Sony A7-series expecting to use the early f4 zooms only. They have some serious compromises in terms of image quality. They're not really cheap for what you get, either.

My guess is that you'll want to replace them sooner or later. Then you only have the large, expensive G Masters or the adapted Canikon route to choose between.

#7 tinplater

tinplater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 01:28 PM

Agree with Jaf, I started with the 24-70 F4 and was only moderately happy with its performance.When I replaced it with the 24-70 GM 2.8 I was staggered by the improvement!Well worth, for me, the extra cost and weight/size.

• Jeffreykmd likes this

#8 touringmn

touringmn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 12:54 AM

I wish that there was some substantive way for me to decide.Due to some retirement income, I have a piggy bank that can be smashed to allow me to go BIG and do the 2470GM.But I could also use that extra grand in a lot of different ways.

Or do I hold off until this Spring when i will restart more photo shooting.Might be more options then.

#9 tinplater

tinplater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 04:18 AM

I wish that there was some substantive way for me to decide.Due to some retirement income, I have a piggy bank that can be smashed to allow me to go BIG and do the 2470GM.But I could also use that extra grand in a lot of different ways.

Or do I hold off until this Spring when i will restart more photo shooting.Might be more options then.

I will tell you, from my experience, the 24-70 2.8 is an absolutely exceptional lens.It is the lens I use about 95% of my routine shooting.If I were you I would consider purchasing on the used market and use it for several months.I think you will find it is amazing, but if not resell it which should probably only cost you a loss of about $150- 200 much less than renting it for half a year.

#10 holmes4

holmes4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 03:27 PM

I am selling my 24-70f4 and getting the new 24-105. I had no real issues with the 24-70, but I will appreciate the extra reach of the 24-105 and it is smaller, lighter and cheaper than the 24-70GM. The f4 is nice and light, however.

#11 tinplater

tinplater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 04:48 PM

I am selling my 24-70f4 and getting the new 24-105. I had no real issues with the 24-70, but I will appreciate the extra reach of the 24-105 and it is smaller, lighter and cheaper than the 24-70GM. The f4 is nice and light, however.

There always trade offs and the best lens will be the result of personal need, shooting style, and budget.For me the compelling factor for the 24-70GM was the outstanding image quality and the constant 2.8 aperture which trumped size and weight.I very promptly got rid of the F4.0 within a couple of days with the 2.8 version.

#12 Username

Username

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 05:58 PM

As someone whose 28-70/2.8 mostly sits idle, 

I was more than happy switching to a 24-70/ 

4.0. Which is to say that if anyone gets enuf

replies to any dilemma, the decision winds up 

back to them, usually with equally compelling 

advice pushing them both ways, unless they  

just buy both :-) 

`

#13 Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 10:30 PM

Between October and March is usually a good time to buy. There will be some promotions on new gear and people will sell off their used gear. Come April, more people will be buying so prices aren't as good.

One good way to decide on lenses could be to look through your image catalogue and see what focal lengths you prefer using. Most people have their shooting habits. I seem to have a strong preference for 35mm and 180mm for instance. So that's where I put some extra money. 

A 24-70 is a useful zoom range for many people. But if you find that you often shoot at 50mm, for instance, you may be better of with a prime.

#14 cosmen

cosmen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 02:12 AM

I'm also waiting for the new the 24-105. Hoping that it's as sharp as the 55mm and the 85mm. This focal range served me well for years with my Canon gear.

Canon 5D Mark IV,  Sony a7R II, Canon EF 16-35mm f/4 L, Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L II, Canon EF 50mm f/1.2 L, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L II, Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 L, Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS II, Sony FE 28mm f/2, Sony FE 55mm f/1.8, Sony FE 85mm f/1.8, Canon 2X Extender, Metabones V

#15 bennytan

bennytan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 31 October 2017 - 04:58 AM

I shoot with the 4/24-70 a fair amount. IQ wise, it's not very much different to the kit 28-70mm. I still have my Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II that I use occasionally with an adapter, though my shooting style these days tends to lean towards my primes.

I'm not impressed by Sony's focus by wire systems on most of their AF lenses, and that's a real downer for me.

Photographer & Media Professional | Digital Content Creation

Toronto 🇨🇦

http://www.benny-tan.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

New Members Welcome!

Not yet registered? Really?

Registration is free and takes only a few minutes.

After the free registration you can discuss with members from all over the world, put questions and present your images.

We are looking forward to you!

Admin Andreas und Sony Alpha Forum Team

Register now! X