Sony a7 II with 70-400 mm and LA-EA4 adapter

The release of the Sony a7II was perfect for me. I had already acquired a 70-400 mm Sony zoom (old version). Originally, the long zoom was paired with an a77, but with the LA-EA4 adapter I can use the zoom with the a7 II. The camera's stabilizer works with this telephoto and I am including some photographs of a  House Finch. The bird is small: 3-4 inches I believe. I got as close as I could, but the bird only occupied a quarter of the field of view. So these cropped down pictures were originally 1000 pixels on their longest side. The male is adorned with his red courting feathers while the female lacks the colorful feathers.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Nice work! I have the same setup but with the 70-400 GII and works very good, and wished the A6000 focused batter on the center spot and I tested inside the house and adjusted the front & back focus and think It's as good it's going to get.

I just ordered a A77M2 to see if it works better outdoors (that is sharper)

Christopher

Wow!  Your pictures are tack sharp and the color is crisp and clear.  You say your lens is the old style, what do you mean by that.  I'm looking for such a lens to go on my A77M2.  Will this work on my asp-c camera.

I would love to switch to Sony as a bird photographer - s there a 500mm lens you can use with Sony Full-Frame that maintains auto-focus (and is not the Sony $13k lens)? I currently use a Canon 500mm with 1.4 extender on a 5d mkii.

Hi Wendy and dhazard,

In response to the questions. The new version of the 70-400 mm had an upgraded focusing motor which promised more speed in locking onto the subject. Its appearance caused dealers to put the old model lens on sale and since it used the same optics as the newer version, I decided to buy it. Focusing speed is fast enough for me.

I only know of one other 500 mm lens which allows you to have autofocus. Minolta had produced a 500 mm f8.0 AF Mirror lens. It is unique and it works on the a77 and I presume it will also work on the LA-EA4 adapter. While I own one, I've not worked with it since getting the 70-400 mm lens. I found the zoom's sharpness to be so good as it would show more detail when digitally enlarged than the 500 mm image. One strategy I use when I need more magnification is that I mount the 70-400 mm on the a77. Since this is an APS-C sized sensor, its effective field of view is that of a 600 mm lens. Sharpness is very good with the 24 megapixel a77 sensor. Since the 70-400 mm is such a large lens and mounting it on a camera body in the field is a pain. Consequentially,  I tend to carry two cameras in the field. I use the 70-400 mm with the a77 and the a7 II with the 24-70 mm Zeiss zoom. This provides a good range of focal lengths and avoids the problem of having to detach and attach lenses in the field. 

dHazard, a cautionary note if you shop for the mirror lens. These are more delicate than all glass lenses and a bump can but them out of collimation. I bought my lens used and I suspect its unimpressive performance may be due to it being mistreated. A friend of mine bought his new (he is a longtime Minolta owner) and his lens works better than mine.

Brian Matsumoto

Hello all, get the 70-400 GII, here's why true the basic lens inside glass is the same but Sony NANO coated 1 or 2 lens elements that being said, no it's not 100% better and in fact maybe a bit if nothing BUT what is better is the focusing is up to 4 times faster, and on you tube someone took a video here's the link 

that in the video you can see the speed difference. Now if you are wanting to shoot wildlife or birding you will want the GII it's faster and I have noticed at times when the body misses the focus it goes from closet to infinity and that takes sometime, more than I like as there is no focus limit! The A77MII does so that's a bonus, and paying $1150-$1200 for the GI and $1700-$2000 for a GII is worth the GII as if you keep the lens for 5 to 10 years it's a better investment.

Now if you are not shooting those than for sure get the GI if the speed of  focusing is not a factor I would for sure get the GI, but I wanted to have the fastest and if someday Sony comes out with the Pro A7 with ultra fast focusing system I want the faster lens to take advantage of it.

It's a super zoom lens and depending on you needs you will like it!

Christopher