What's a nice flat (not long) lens?

mlevin77

I would recommend, depending upon your budget:  (these all produce very sharp images which is what is most important to me)

#1.  The Sony Zeiss 35mm 2.8   this will be approximately a 50mm lens on your A6000 but is expensive...but a wonderful tiny little lens

#2  Sigma 19mm about $100 used on Ebay.  Great value lens with wider field of view.

#3. 24mm 1.8 Sony Zeiss.   Small lens, sharp, and large aperture.

Guest Jaf-Photo

I like using Sony 35mm f1.8 OSS for that. It is small enough for the camera to fit in a coat pocket. The IQ is very nice and it works well with the A6000 hybrid af. Face recognition and Eye-AF for photographing people. A normal 50mm view. Affordable price. An essential lens for A6000.

No actual need to go for the expensive Zeiss-branded lenses (the 24/1.8 is long) and the Sigmas have crippled AF. The kitlens is terrible, never use that for anything. Get the older 18-55 if you want that kind of lens, but it's longer (and slower) than 35/1.8.

No actual need to go for the expensive Zeiss-branded lenses (the 24/1.8 is long) and the Sigmas have crippled AF. The kitlens is terrible, never use that for anything. Get the older 18-55 if you want that kind of lens, but it's longer (and slower) than 35/1.8.

"Long" is in the eye of the beholder.  The 24 1.8 is 3 inches in length, weighs just 8.5 ounces and I recommended consideration because of wider focal length on crop sensor; plus it has a wonderful quality to the rendering of the images.

Guest Jaf-Photo

I have the 24/1.8. On the camera, it's too long to fit in a small shoulder bag or a coat pocket. It is also 3-4 times more expensive than the 35/1.8. It has nice IQ, I agree, but due to the size I don't use it as a compact walkaround lens.

"Long" is in the eye of the beholder.  The 24 1.8 is 3 inches in length, weighs just 8.5 ounces and I recommended consideration because of wider focal length on crop sensor; plus it has a wonderful quality to the rendering of the images.

I have the 24/1.8. On the camera, it's too long to fit in a small shoulder bag or a coat pocket. It is also 3-4 times more expensive than the 35/1.8. It has nice IQ, I agree, but due to the size I don't use it as a compact walkaround lens.

I guess "thinness" is in the eye of the beholder as well.  My a6000 with the 24 1.8 fits with plenty of room to spare in my Lowepro tlz mini....5 inches "thin" 7 deep, about 6 wide (tapered). (way way smaller and thinner than anything my wife lugs around under the label of a "purse")

Guest Jaf-Photo

It's anecdotal but I have a bag that is small enough to fit inside most other bags. I holds several different configurations, icluding analogue SLRs. I put this bag inside whatever other bag I am carrying which means I always have a decent camera with me. It does not hold A6000 with 24/1.8. The OP was not asking for a bag recommendation, though.

I guess "thinness" is in the eye of the beholder as well.  My a6000 with the 24 1.8 fits with plenty of room to spare in my Lowepro tlz mini....5 inches "thin" 7 deep, about 6 wide (tapered). (way way smaller and thinner than anything my wife lugs around under the label of a "purse")

• 4 weeks later...