Capture One 10 - so confusing!

I'm a long time LR user and trying to give C1 another chance after having tried it long ago, once.  I've updated to v10 (was v8) but can't even figure out how to create a NEW catalog.  Every tutorial I found talks about what should be simple - File/New Catalog - except in mine - there is no such thing!

See attached screen shot....tutorial vs my actual menu...  In LR one just creates a new catalog which replaces the current/saved one.  In C1 I'm stuck inside some really old test catalog I made when I first tried it.  True, I could import new images into the old catalog - but that makes no sense.

Maybe Express only allows one catalog?  No clue here but it's a shining example of why I didn't stick with it on the first try - it's convoluted - not intuitive at all...  If I can only have one catalog, how can I delete this one and start over?  Or how does one create individual projects?  I don't dump everything I've ever shot/processed into one place.  I tend to keep each project separate and independent.  

Any insight on this?  It has to be something simple one would think...   :-(

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

If you use CATALOG then CaptureOne maintains control over location of images. This makes using keywords and searches much easier, but the CATALOG can get big, very quickly.

I prefer using SESSIONS instead, each new project is its own session. If I am covering a sporting event then I create a new SESSION for that event. This allows me to specify where the folder is located and it's name, but keyword searches will only search the current sessions, for me this is not a problem.

I prefer to think of SESSIONS as PROJECTS.

Thanks so much - that kind of makes sense.  But it appears then, like "sessions" are part of a "catalog" and there is only one catalog?  This is part what is confusing, as LR has catalogs saved for each project - as many as one wants.

So I guess there is no way to start with a new catalog, once one exists??  Im sure I could find the old one in my system and delete - or just ignore catalog entirely and go straight to Import Session...

I think sessions can be a part of a catalog or they can exists as standalone projects.

I think this is the same situation I found myself in when I started with C1, I think I ended up locating my first CATALOG and then deleting it. Next time I started C1 I think it produced a pop up window to start a new session or catalog.

Thanks again - upon investigation, I see now that the Catalog is actually an OSX package - which contains the C1 data and original images in dated folders.  (Similar to the iPhoto Library)

I can take the images out of the package (by using package/show contents) and probably freely delete it.  But yes, it appears there is only one catalog ever vs LR's new catalog for each project.

FWIW I had been trying the online help, but totally got stuck when they assumed I was able to create a new catalog - and couldn't due to the old one existing.  No mention of how to get rid of it and start over.

I'm pretty sure I understand now what's happening - thanks again!

I’m away from my Mac but it looks like there may be a bug. It looks like your screen resolution is cutting off the menu. What happens if you use the keyboard shortcut to create a new catalog? You can have multiple catalogs, not restricted to just 1.

I’m away from my Mac but it looks like there may be a bug. It looks like your screen resolution is cutting off the menu. What happens if you use the keyboard shortcut to create a new catalog? You can have multiple catalogs, not restricted to just 1.

Thanks but I don't think so - I tried a few alternatives from the default iMac 5K with no difference.  Keeping in mind this is Express and possibly different than Pro, it also didn't allow shift/command/N (OSX) for NEW catalog either.  For now I'm going to give up on the UI and just see what it can do for IQ - if it's better than LR I'll consider tossing the $50 in to get the full featured version.  Right now though it's kind of like trying to learn to fly an alien spaceship. ha ha  I do appreciate the effort though.