I am looking (still) for a replacement for Lightroom.  I have become very annoyed at the direction Adobe has taken with the subscription model.  I have paid for LR 3 and upgraded to 4, 5, and 6.  And now there are features only available to subscribers.  THAT REALLY PISSES ME OFF!!!!!!

So I got Luminar and just did not like it.  Then I tried Capture One for Sony.  I like it better, but would probably want the full version not the Sony version.  And it doesn't just blow me away anyway.  I do like the live capture ability and may get it just for that. (My trial version just ended.)  

Now I'm wondering about Affinity Photo.  I haven't found a way to get a trial version so I wanted some inputs from the Forum before I waste more money.  I just got an iPad Pro 10.5 and the iPad version of Affinity Photo is only US $20.  And the desktop version is only US $50. The reviews I'm seeing say the desktop and iPad versions perform exactly the same although there are a few differences in the look.  This looks interesting to me.

So what do you Affinity Photo users have to say...both good and bad?

I'm not really being helpful here ... however please also take a moment to checkout On1 Raw. Its something which has been improving, and a few of its shortcomings (relative to Capture One) are scheduled to be resolved. I think that for most people, On1 Raw is seen as Lightroom replacement.

I've been impressed with On1 Raws new "Details" control, which is a sharpening alternative, and use it exclusively now as I find it does a very good job of sharpening detailed landscapes ... without introducing any false details. It also has much better masking tools, such that masking is no longer a chore, and therefore its really easy to work on images and get a better result.

By way of example, this is an image I've worked on from time to time, now I have a blur applied ... and still go through the process of masking it out from a few places, which thankfully is easily enough to do.

Guest Jaf-Photo

I had a quick look at the Affinity Serif web page. They seem to offer a free trial if you sign up with an e-mail address.

You can also have a look at DxO Optics. It's a very good alternative to LR with far better corrections. Not an alternative to PS, if you do a lot of retouching.

I suppose the real question is: what do you want the app to do? I use DxO Optics Pro on the desktop for raw conversion, lens corrections and lighting fixes, but haven't made much use of its advanced features. I recently started using the companion DxO Viewpoint for perspective correction and love it.

I have Affinity Photo for the iPad but have just taken the tutorials so far, not used it on my own photos. It seems more aimed at the "artistic editing" crowd.

I have already purchased Affinity Photo for iPad.  From the reviews and my own initial impressions, I feel this app will replace Lightroom for me.  I will most likely also get the desktop version (OS) too.  The desktop version is on sale for $50 US...a really good price.  And like Capture One and Luminar, it is a combination of Photoshop and LR features.  I just checked and Affinity Photo for Mac OS is the top selling paid photo app on the App Store.  It looks like the program is gaining popularity.

I am looking (still) for a replacement for Lightroom.  I have become very annoyed at the direction Adobe has taken with the subscription model.  I have paid for LR 3 and upgraded to 4, 5, and 6.  And now there are features only available to subscribers.  THAT REALLY PISSES ME OFF!!!!!!

So I got Luminar and just did not like it.  Then I tried Capture One for Sony.  I like it better, but would probably want the full version not the Sony version.  And it doesn't just blow me away anyway.  I do like the live capture ability and may get it just for that. (My trial version just ended.)  

Now I'm wondering about Affinity Photo.  I haven't found a way to get a trial version so I wanted some inputs from the Forum before I waste more money.  I just got an iPad Pro 10.5 and the iPad version of Affinity Photo is only US $20.  And the desktop version is only US $50. The reviews I'm seeing say the desktop and iPad versions perform exactly the same although there are a few differences in the look.  This looks interesting to me.

So what do you Affinity Photo users have to say...both good and bad?

Just wondering... besides being really pissed off at Adobe for their marketing decisions regarding LR, is there something that you are/were wanting to do with your photo processing that cannot be accomplished with LR 6? Were you not getting the quality and results you want, or are you simply fed up with Adobe? I also find Adobe to be annoying, and don't get me started on their customer service and tech support - always a nightmare. However, when it comes to LR, I am sure that I don't nearly utilize the full power of the program as is! I currently combine and switch between: LR 6, DxO Optics Pro, Silver EfexPro and Adobe PhotoShop CS6 depending upon my needs. Each one has strengths. I don't use the "cloud" based subscriptions. 

Just wondering... besides being really pissed off at Adobe for their marketing decisions regarding LR, is there something that you are/were wanting to do with your photo processing that cannot be accomplished with LR 6? Were you not getting the quality and results you want, or are you simply fed up with Adobe? I also find Adobe to be annoying, and don't get me started on their customer service and tech support - always a nightmare. However, when it comes to LR, I am sure that I don't nearly utilize the full power of the program as is! I currently combine and switch between: LR 6, DxO Optics Pro, Silver EfexPro and Adobe PhotoShop CS6 depending upon my needs. Each one has strengths. I don't use the "cloud" based subscriptions. 

I actually like LR6 a lot.  It has taken me years to get to the level of skill I have with LR.  It was hard to learn.  But I feel Adobe has just abused me and other customers.  I tried the creative cloud and just don't like it. I already paid for LR and I very occasionally used PS Elements 14 which I also paid for.  And a major goal for me is to be able to edit photos on an iPad.  LR Mobile was OK but unless you have the creative cloud subscription, you don't get all the features on LR Mobile.  That just bothers me.  And now I have discovered Affinity Photo.  The iPad version has ALL the features the MacBook version has.  And it does many of the things Photoshop CC does too.  This is a complete solution for me and it looks like others too.  Affinity Photo is the top selling photo app for the Mac.  It looks like a lot of folks are switching.

Guest Jaf-Photo

I actually like LR6 a lot.  It has taken me years to get to the level of skill I have with LR.  It was hard to learn.  But I feel Adobe has just abused me and other customers.  I tried the creative cloud and just don't like it. I already paid for LR and I very occasionally used PS Elements 14 which I also paid for.  And a major goal for me is to be able to edit photos on an iPad.  LR Mobile was OK but unless you have the creative cloud subscription, you don't get all the features on LR Mobile.  That just bothers me.  And now I have discovered Affinity Photo.  The iPad version has ALL the features the MacBook version has.  And it does many of the things Photoshop CC does too.  This is a complete solution for me and it looks like others too.  Affinity Photo is the top selling photo app for the Mac.  It looks like a lot of folks are switching.

The combo of LR and PS is hard to beat. Their new subscription payments are convenient for the developer and for busisness users. For one, it means that Adobe doesn't have to do a token upgrade every year to make people buy a new version. For hobbyists and casual users, the old payment structure was better. I Think you're right in the assumption that Adobe will lose this part of their customer base to other programs.

Anyway, did you manage to start a trial on Affinity?

Adobe is taking your work hostage, that's so annoying.

I don't bother when a subscription model doesn't give me new features if I stop paying, that's only fair.

But I hate a model where I can't open my old projects any more if I stop paying!

The combo of LR and PS is hard to beat. Their new subscription payments are convenient for the developer and for busisness users. For one, it means that Adobe doesn't have to do a token upgrade every year to make people buy a new version. For hobbyists and casual users, the old payment structure was better. I Think you're right in the assumption that Adobe will lose this part of their customer base to other programs.

Anyway, did you manage to start a trial on Affinity?

I only have the iPad version right now.  The iPad and desktop/laptop version are very similar according to the reviews.  But the iPad version is much newer (June 2017 I believe) so there are fewer tutorials currently.  But I'm trying to master the iPad first then move to the desktop/laptop version this fall.  There are over 200 tutorials for the desktop version.

I agree that Adobe is the elephant in the room with huge market share for photo editing software.  I bet some non-photographer MBA has made the decision to push the subscription model of business.  Having been a business major myself, I realize the concept of monthly cash flow is better than a one-time sale.  I think they assume customers will just "suck it up" and give in to the subscription model.  Adobe assumes they can bully us.  They are wrong.  There are other alternatives to LR/PS and I'm soon to be a former customer.  I am tired of their BS.

• 2 weeks later...

Adobe abuses the fact that students and many non-profitable organizatons are forced to buy the latest model. From my understanding is the last version was CS6 and LR is up to 4? I really do not see how using editing software from ten years agao is any different at all when the images made was used for the same medium ( magazines ). Even if the images are printed gigantic I really do not see the need.

I just have one legit copy of PS CC and one of LR etc that is up to date and if I become one of those designer tycoons then maybe I will get a subscription.

I see basic need for these programs as end it all to retouching but it is not the greatest need