Helene

Ilya

I'll just comment on #1; a very fine model and an excellent shot with regard to light, sharpness/unsharpness etc and so on. However there is too much space above the model and this adds nothing to the content and the style. In fact it makes the picture somewhat unbalanced. Try cropping offthe top so that the dark triangle in the top right hand corner disappears totally.

And yes, this applies to #2 as well.

Guest Jaf-Photo

I'll just comment on #1; a very fine model and an excellent shot with regard to light, sharpness/unsharpness etc and so on. However there is too much space above the model and this adds nothing to the content and the style. In fact it makes the picture somewhat unbalanced. Try cropping offthe top so that the dark triangle in the top right hand corner disappears totally.And yes, this applies to #2 as well.

I like them. The swirly bokeh is very attractive and I normally don't go for that.

Regarding the crop, you can tell that Ilya can shoot and that it was a deliberate decision to center the shots and include background above the model.

Yes, there is a general rule of thumb that you should avoid head-space and centering, but if you know what you're doing it's fine to do it.

Guest Jaf-Photo

Jaf: I never advocated avoiding head space, just the dark triangle in the top right hand corner. That would still leave more than two thirds of the original head space.

It would also uncenter the bokeh swirl. Your advice assumed the photographer didn't know what he was doing. My reply assumed he did.

It would also uncenter the bokeh swirl. Your advice assumed the photographer didn't know what he was doing. My reply assumed he did.

Your assumption about my assumption is incorrect.

I just expressed my opinion about a part of the picture.

Btw, I like centered bokeh swirl. What's wrong with that?

Guest Jaf-Photo

Btw, I like centered bokeh swirl. What's wrong with that?

Well, by cropping the top you would decenter the swirl. So, I guess your statements are contradictory and, in fact, validate mine.

Guest Jaf-Photo

Thank you for your feedbacks, guys. For me black triangle on first image not essential and also not an irritant part of image. In my Instagram, for example, I crop it out: https://www.instagram.com/ilya_art/

In general, for portraits, I like some space around person, it give me sense of "volume", feeling of "air"...

Cool, that's what I thought. I did click on your flickr link. Nice work, there.

Making no assumptions at all my opinion is that the diagonal swoosh at the top of the first image contributes nothing of value to it and were it mine I would crop much of it out. In the second the intense fire light distracts from the model. The third is the most successful with the model predominating over the visual interest of back ground firelight. 

Guest Jaf-Photo

Making no assumptions at all my opinion is that the diagonal swoosh at the top of the first image contributes nothing of value to it and were it mine I would crop much of it out. In the second the intense fire light distracts from the model. The third is the most successful with the model predominating over the visual interest of back ground firelight.

I like to see photographers who make personal choices. Especially if they are defying some convention that other people want them follow. I don't like to see people with limited ideas telling other people what to do.

Guest Jaf-Photo

The problem with following a public forum like this is that there is a good chance you will see opinions expressed that don't reflect your own...but they will have the same weight as your own..

Any discussion is a test of arguments. It's very unusual for all arguments in a discussion to be equally strong. Also, opinions have to be backed by something to have weight. It can be training, experience, a good track-record, or even raw power.

In this case my experience tells me that the OP is a good photographer who composed these photos deliberately. I would have shot them differently under the same circumstances (more commercial as I am used to that) but I enjoy seeing his vision more than trying to impose my vision on him. They would definitely have been cropped for publication, but sometimes it's more interesting to see free-form photos.

The mark of a good craftsman is the ability to recognise and respect other craftsmen.

Guest Jaf-Photo

I always explain the reasons for my comments. I think a person's reasoning will reveal their level of experience and knowledge. I don't think this is a very good forum for posting images, because most posters are trying to show off their gear or get on SAR. They won't welcome comments despite inviting them.

Power was just an example. Picture editors tend to have very different, sometimes irrational ideas, but they have the power to refuse or alter your photos. So their opinions matter not by the strength of their argument but by their power.

We've discussed cropping arms a few times and that is something picture editors don't like. But there are also rational reasons for it, which I have explained to you. Compositional flow, meaning a clear path for the eye, is very important. Most beginners don't even think about it but experts always do.

Guest Jaf-Photo

So the answer to my question is...palaver.

And you're avoiding the topic, using ad hominem and demanding respect for your opinions. Like all people do when they have nothing to contribute.

Guest Jaf-Photo

Have you posted any pictures on this forum Jaf? I would enjoy seeing them.

Really? This is so predictable. "Post some of your photos so I can critisise them randomly".

Tell you what. I am doing you an even bigger favour and putting you on my ignore list.

Guest Jaf-Photo

Will your next posting be "I'm leaving?"

That would be far too generous to you. But I will put you on my ignore list as you are also a spammer.