A6000 with 500mm & 850mm telephoto

Although there are only a few Sony telephoto lens options for the A7 and A6000, there are some non-Sony alternatives. I use a Kowa Telephoto lens with the Kowa TX17 850mm F9.6 and TX10 500mm F5.6 adapters. This a manual focus, manual exposure lens, so taking 'Birds In Flight' is challenging. However, the optical quality is excellent and the weight saving over a conventional DLSR set up is significant. I switched from big Canon glass a few years ago and haven't looked back. The TX17 &10 adapters are Sony “A” mount, so you need a Sony LA-EA3 adapter to connect them to the A7 or A6000.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Although there are only a few Sony telephoto lens options for the A7 and A6000, there are some non-Sony alternatives. I use a Kowa Telephoto lens with the Kowa TX17 850mm F9.6 and TX10 500mm F5.6 adapters. This a manual focus, manual exposure lens, so taking 'Birds In Flight' is challenging. However, the optical quality is excellent and the weight saving over a conventional DLSR set up is significant. I switched from big Canon glass a few years ago and haven't looked back. The TX17 &10 adapters are Sony “A” mount, so you need a Sony LA-EA3 adapter to connect them to the A7 or A6000.

attachicon.gif1.jpgattachicon.gif2.jpgattachicon.gif3.jpgattachicon.gif5.jpgattachicon.gif4.jpg

Compliment, super bird images!  I know very well, how complicated they are to shoot!

Yes, there are many other options, like the Spective glasses from Zeiss, Leica, Swarowski,.Olivon, and other no name products, to adapt on Sony A cameras! This is the big Advantage about these mirrorless Sony cameras, one can adapt any lens, which is not climbed at three on three!    ;)

But, what I prefer on my fairly heavy weight Sony A6000/Zeiss lens setup, I can personally use it very flexible "hand held", under decent light conditions ! For other shots, I am going to buy me an MANFROTTO telephoto lens holder 293 soon!

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed your post and your photographs. Any more information you can provide on the Kowa lenses will be appreciated. The company makes excellent spotting scopes and binoculars and it is excellent that they have manufactured a telephoto which can fit on a variety of cameras. Do you have a preferred working aperture on these lenses? Or do you shoot wide open?

I would love to switch to Sony as a bird photographer but it is just NOT possible to use manual focus on any regular basis (despite the fine images here). Is there a 500mm lens you can use with Sony that maintains auto-focus (and is not the Sony $13k lens)? I currently use a Canon 500mm with 1.4 extender on a 5d mkii.

There is the Sigma lens, 150-500mm which offers autofocus and stabilisation but since it is A mount you need the LA-EA4 adaptor. Nothing native E mount that I know of.

Another alternative that I  would like to know more about is the Minolta/sony 500mm mirror lens, the only autofocus lens available I believe. Discontinued now.