Unable to install firmware v4 on A7rII

I am on my fourth try at installing firmware v4 on my A7rII

- Using a Mac with OS X 10.11.6

- Following all instructions - no memory card, battery at 100%, USB set to Mass Storage

- at initial stage in installer of "Connect the camera and computer" I soon get the message on the camera screen "check the connected device" - this is after it confirms that Mass Storage is on

- I wait a bit and nothing more happens (should I be more patient) then the installer software says "Could not find the camera for this update" and tells me to shut down, start again

- I have rebooted the machine and only have the Finder open when doing this

The only info I could find on the Sony site talked about installing a 'DriverLoader.app' for newer versions of Mac OS X. I downloaded that and think I installed it, but it provides no feedback to that effect

Has anyone had this and figured out a workaround? I could not find anything on the Forum.

Many Thanks

I am on my fourth try at installing firmware v4 on my A7rII

- Using a Mac with OS X 10.11.6

- Following all instructions - no memory card, battery at 100%, USB set to Mass Storage

- at initial stage in installer of "Connect the camera and computer" I soon get the message on the camera screen "check the connected device" - this is after it confirms that Mass Storage is on

- I wait a bit and nothing more happens (should I be more patient) then the installer software says "Could not find the camera for this update" and tells me to shut down, start again

- I have rebooted the machine and only have the Finder open when doing this

The only info I could find on the Sony site talked about installing a 'DriverLoader.app' for newer versions of Mac OS X. I downloaded that and think I installed it, but it provides no feedback to that effect

Has anyone had this and figured out a workaround? I could not find anything on the Forum.

Many Thanks

Just a thought have you tried another cable?

jayteepix -

I believe that does the trick. I had originally tried a different cable to begin with and ran into an issue - not sure now what that was - but that original cable is now doing the job.

I actually did the update using my wife's Windows laptop just now, but violating the scientific method I changed two variables and used that original cable as well as different OS. That worked and now I tried it up to the Connection step (where it got hung up earlier) on my iMac and it is working here now as well.

Sony does say to use only the cable that comes with the camera but that first glitch led me to try another one.

Thanks

Had the same problem on my Mac, figuring a cable is a cable is a cable. Apparently there's something magical about the SONY cable. My problem now it's mixed in with all the other cables around here and will have to ferret it out next time an update comes along.

My SONY cables all have a 'B' marked on the end:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

jayteepix -I believe that does the trick. I had originally tried a different cable to begin with and ran into an issue - not sure now what that was - but that original cable is now doing the job.I actually did the update using my wife's Windows laptop just now, but violating the scientific method I changed two variables and used that original cable as well as different OS. That worked and now I tried it up to the Connection step (where it got hung up earlier) on my iMac and it is working here now as well. Sony does say to use only the cable that comes with the camera but that first glitch led me to try another one.Thanks