Timelapse app: tips tricks advise

So i've been shooting timelapses using the sony playmemories app for quite some time now on an NEX6. Its been an amazingly good app to shoot mostly but was trying to see if i could get some advice on making better use of it

Some questions

- the constantly on screen kills the battery

- how long a timelapse (actual duration) have you made using the app

- is there a hack to connect a charger while using the app

- there are a ton of settings, however apart from the basics haven't really touched them. Are there some hidden gems

- how do i post some timelapses here? Would love to see yours as well

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

to your question number one.

for the sony a6300 there is a setting that when it starts taking the time lapse the screen will go more dim.have a try to that setting.

to your question number 3,

i dont think you need a hack.for the a6300 i plug a usb charger straight and it works.other wise try a dummy battery.

to your question number one.

for the sony a6300 there is a setting that when it starts taking the time lapse the screen will go more dim.have a try to that setting.

to your question number 3,

i dont think you need a hack.for the a6300 i plug a usb charger straight and it works.other wise try a dummy battery.

Is the first one the same as dimming the screen to min brightness. Thats the advice i seem to get

Doesn't plugging in a charger take ti to the USB device connected screen?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

The Sony ACPW20 AC Adapter will solve your battery problems.  There is a tiny door built into the edge of the NEX-6 battery door, it opens up to admit the cord to the dummy battery, so you're plugged in the mains and can go forever (or until your SD card is full.)

As for "hacks," the biggest one I can think of is to get a 3rd party video editing program.  The Sony timelapse app produces acceptable video, but it only outputs enormous uncompressed AVI video.  Recoding to MP4 makes the videos a lot more friendly and saves loads of drive space...

Also, the timelapse app only meters the scene at the first exposure, then it uses that exposure all through the set.   (Unless I missed something.)  So another way to do timelapses, is to get a remote IR trigger for the camera, hack that to a timer, and then use your video editor (or Lightroom) to make video from your stills.  You can get the IR trigger and timer for around $30 or 40 for the pair.