Sony A9 with 300mm prime tele lens

Hi. I rented the A9 over the weekend to shoot some sports and use both the Canon 300mm f/2.8ii and Nikon 300mm f/4 PF, with some interesting results. 

Both lenses worked very well with the A9 - although, surprisingly, the Metabones adaptor (for Canon) kept freezing whereas the Vello/Commlight (for Nikon) worked almost flawlessly - in contrast to that adaptor's spotty performance on my A7rii.

Here's the blog  https://blog.qamera.com/blog/2017/5/28/a9-and-action

I'm really looking forward to getting some Sony prime tele glass and would strongly suggest they take a look at what Nikon has done with the 300mm f/4 PF which is a perfect match for the size/weight of the A series...

P7280493-XL.jpg

Here are a few pictures taken with this lens on the A9:

Jardine_DSC02709.jpg

Jardine_DSC03137.jpg

Here are a few with the Canon f/2.8 II

Jardine_DSC01342.jpg

Jardine_DSC00902.jpg

My A7mark 2 with the Sony 70-300 can do this too, at a fraction of the cost. Not at 20fps though.

Yes from FL perspective but not at f2.8 or f4.0 and not optimized for 300mm, as primes are....

Yes from FL perspective but not at f2.8 or f4.0 and not optimized for 300mm, as primes are....

I thought this was about the A9. You are right about primes of course, but do try the 70-300, it is realy sharp. And when the light is as in your pictures, one does not need f/2.8 or f/4

As if optimization really mattered ........ 

When compared to zooms, where the objective is to make the whole range good versus any one distance - yes.

Of course I have no interest in debating it when the subject really is the A9 body.  I am much more interested in understanding why Commlite/Vello works better on A9 vs A7Rii.  Probably has to do with sensor density more than anything but who knows at this early days of A9.