Sony A7II + Minolta APO 100-300mm

drasko2015

drasco

Thanks very much for getting back.  I do in fact have an A77.  That's when I first bought this APO 100-300D.  But I'm photographing it now to put it up on eBay with the 16-50mm lens.  I'm selling it because I do indeed have the A7II and that was a typo above.  I like everything about the camera compared to the full size SLT Sony bodies.  Looks baddass with the LA-E4 adaptor and I have a nice assortment of legacy Minolta, Sony and Zeiss A mount lenses.  With the 55mm AE Zeiss, those can be some amazing images.

So..... you are saying, if you're familiar with my SEL18-200, that it's nothing special and you're getting that kind of performance from the A7II even on 3 axis.  I'm not seeing anything close to that, so I am guessing I have a setting or combination of settings incorrect on the camera, or more unlikely a real problem with the camera.  I need to go through slowly what you said above and see if I can walk through the same steps.  I may have to ask again for more clarification if I get stumped.  Thanks very much.

I'm a color guy.  Appreciate B&W, not so much sepia.  But colors don't mask the eye you have for what you see that will make the great shots you are sharing with us.  Props again and thanks for your help.  Will be a bit, probably tomorrow before I can try what you are saying, with programming one of the buttons.  I have shot both manual and auto focus so not sure where to begin.

thx again,

make shure you have set the correct focal length in the steadyshot settings, when its set then you see a hand icon on the display

when you are using a full manual adapter like me it´s a bit of a pain when you want to zoom, then you would always have to change your settings for steadyshot

but i´m using the 100-300 APO allmost every time @ 300mm

thx,

you need the laea4 adapter if you want to use it with autofocus, haven´t tried that yet, but i think its too expensive at the moment and the other thing is this adapter has a translucent mirror so you will loose a bit of light + you better never touch the adapter inside, you can damage it that way 

sony should really lower the price for that adapter or even ship it with an a7II, so even more people would switch to sony

Thanks.

I'm using the Samyang 85 f1.4 which was very cheap but manual focus only.

I don't mind manual focus. Just trying to find my way in this endless  world of info.

Until Sony will take your good advice on pricing, I'll keep looking for cheap options.

OK.  If it is only getting 3 axis stabilization with an adaptor, dumb or smart, maybe that would explain the difference I'm seeing between stabilization at 300mm with the APO 100-300 on the A7II vs what I see with 300mm effective FL with the silver 18-200 on my NEX 5N.    But, I also recall reading that the stabilization for that lens, in the lens, has a little "extra" going on for it as well because it was designed as a video lens to go with Sony's E-mount higher end video rigs.  Followed by the "black" 18-200 with the automatic zoom and rocker switch.  

My observations weren't that great originally apparently.  Once focus, for me even auto focus with the LA-EA4 adaptor, is locked in..... then I definitely see the stabilization.  But I would think 3 axis includes vertical up and down.  Quick small movements vertically are not as "sticky" with the floating, slowed down sensor movement as with the in lens stabilization on the 18-200.  Could as well be good in lens stabilization at longer focal lengths vs good in body stabilization at longer focal lengths.

Much appreciated with the help.  I'm thinking my other question for this site may be answered with you can't upload your images, but rather must have them stored elsewhere such as on Flickr..... to link to them.  Is that correct?  I don't have my own web site at this point yet.

OK.  If it is only getting 3 axis stabilization with an adaptor, dumb or smart, maybe that would explain the difference I'm seeing between stabilization at 300mm with the APO 100-300 on the A7II vs what I see with 300mm effective FL with the silver 18-200 on my NEX 5N.    But, I also recall reading that the stabilization for that lens, in the lens, has a little "extra" going on for it as well because it was designed as a video lens to go with Sony's E-mount higher end video rigs.  Followed by the "black" 18-200 with the automatic zoom and rocker switch.  

My observations weren't that great originally apparently.  Once focus, for me even auto focus with the LA-EA4 adaptor, is locked in..... then I definitely see the stabilization.  But I would think 3 axis includes vertical up and down.  Quick small movements vertically are not as "sticky" with the floating, slowed down sensor movement as with the in lens stabilization on the 18-200.  Could as well be good in lens stabilization at longer focal lengths vs good in body stabilization at longer focal lengths.

Much appreciated with the help.  I'm thinking my other question for this site may be answered with you can't upload your images, but rather must have them stored elsewhere such as on Flickr..... to link to them.  Is that correct?  I don't have my own web site at this point yet.

You should check to make sure your A7II has the latest firmware. Shortly after release there was a firmware update that significantly improved the stabilization system on older lenses.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

some more shots today:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!